G7x Mark II housing and strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing that stopped me from buying a Nauticam for my G7X Mark II was that the housing is about 2.5X the price of G7X Mark II here in Hong Kong.

That's partly why I went with the polycarbonate Recsea housing, parts are individually CNC machined just like the aluminum version, its a quality piece, $499 retail. If you reach out to Austin on their fb page he *might* even be able to offer a discount/voucher :wink:

Did you consider buying a DSL with a Nauticam housing versus the G7X/Nauticam?

One thing that stopped me from buying a Nauticam for my G7X Mark II was that the housing is about 2.5X the price of G7X Mark II here in Hong Kong.

A Nauticam housing for pro-sumer DSL (like a Nikon 7200) is about 1.5X – 1.75X

Cheers

Chris
Those seem like pretty steep prices for Nauticam, In Australia it is about 2x the cost of the camera, or maybe the camera is super cheap in Hong Kong? I'm not sure what your thinking is with cost multiplier. sure you could survive two floods and be ahead $ wise, but probably not if it floods first day of a big dive trip, plus the value of peace of mind looking at that green light. If You are definite on going for the cheaper housing the Fantasea has double O-rings and a moisture alarm, but no vacuum and they seem to have a pretty good reputation all round.

Another way to look at it is if you are spending that much you could get a mirrorless camera like an EM-5 II and a 60mm macro lens and get quite good macro(1:1) out of the box without accessory lenses. more $$ of course but the same S-2000 strobes should be fine.

In Hong Kong, the G7X Mark 2 costs HK$4,000 (US$510). The Nauticam housing is about HK$9,000.

In the end I bought the Canon housing while on a business trip to Tokyo. At BIC Camera, the price worked out to ~US$200 (duty free and with Bic Camera's 5% rebate for paying with Visa). I have used the housing on two local dive trips (a total of 6 dives) over the past two weeks.

Maximum depth has been 15m and I have had no leaks or fogging, with ambient temps of about 30c and minimum bottom temps of 22c. Without an external strobe, the housing is positively buoyant, so the lanyard is essential.

So far so good! Here's a shot from yesterday's dive.

Attachments

• 415066-4578a09903868422bead2a0d2f278be3.jpg
    415066-4578a09903868422bead2a0d2f278be3.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 149

Back
Top Bottom