G7X Mark II question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scagrotto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Since the geniuses at Canon to hobble the camera's versatility by not including a hot shoe I'm wondering how much manual control of flash output they've provided. The compact Canon I've got now offers 3 power settings for the flash. They're indicated by a bar graph that suggests that they're 1/3, 2/3 and full power. Does the G7x ii have finer control or the same 3 basic choices?

And about how long is the recycle time for full power output?

Thanks.

Since the geniuses at Canon to hobble the camera's versatility by not including a hot shoe I'm wondering how much manual control of flash output they've provided. The compact Canon I've got now offers 3 power settings for the flash. They're indicated by a bar graph that suggests that they're 1/3, 2/3 and full power. Does the G7x ii have finer control or the same 3 basic choices?

And about how long is the recycle time for full power output?

Thanks.
Hi scagrotto,
The Canon G7xmk2 has the same power setting as the ones you indicate in your other camera. I'm not sure what set up you are using and why you would need the hot shoe. Myself, I use the Nauticam housing and fire my strobes with a fiber optic cable. I leave the flash at minimum setting as the batterie power is really bad. If I'm carefull I make it trough 2 dives on a battery (2 dives on avarage +-100 Pics + 20 short video).
Overall, I'm impressed with the camera.

Olivier

Hi Olivier,

My current setup is a bit over 12 years old, so nearly prehistoric by digital standards, and it's not the Canon compact with the 3 flash settings. I'm trying to decide what to do for an upgrade, and the G7x ii has a lot going for it.

I don't expect to take advantage of the fast burst mode much for UW shooting, but I can imagine there may be times when I'd want to quickly fire off several shots in a row. My thinking is that I don't want the onboard flash recycling to limit shooting before the external strobes do. A hot shoe eliminates the onboard flash as a possible limitation, and better battery life is a bonus.

In case the G7x ii is different, mine shows a line divided into thirds, with a 13 segment bar graph underneath. The 3 power settings display 5, 9, and 13 segments, which implies something near the 1/3, 2/3 and full power settings I mentioned above. Like the manual focus display, they could display a real number that has meaning, but that idea seems to have eluded them. Since I just do casual stuff with it I've always just dialed in a flash power and f-stop that work, and never paid much attention. Of course once I started to actually think about it changes of a full stop make far more sense than 1/3, 2/3 and full power (and match just about every external flash I've ever owned). From what I've found Canon offers no documentation, but I took a few pictures to work it out. What I found was that the reduced power settings are roughly 1/2 and 1/16 of full power. Slightly odd choices for general usage (is it really that hard/expensive to add more intermediate levels?), but assuming the low power is enough to reliably trigger a slave via fiber optic that's a pretty good alternative to a hot shoe. The camera only takes about 1 shot per second, but I managed 20 shots in a row. I don't imagine I'll find performance like that to be a limitation in an UW setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom