G7X Mark II - wideangle experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grze11

Registered
Reaction score
I have just bought a Canon G7X Mark II because of a really good price but I am hesitating if I should just sell it and buy another camera. It seems that wideangle experience with this camera can be quite tricky. For Nauticam housing you need a special short port, so there is no zoom through possibility. What are your experiences?

Search for Canon G7X Mark II and you'll see threads where I've shot the original G7X and Mark II.

Lots of wide choices and too many folks think they need 130 degrees when they shoot from 4' away etc.

On two trips this year with my Canon G7X Mark II I never shot wider than the native equivalent 24mm. One trip with an Ikelite housing and their tiny WD-3 wet dome lens. Then Hawaii in September with a Fantasea housing and their BigEye M67mm II thread in lens equaling only 28mm.

I also have Fantasea's BigEye F series dome that gives me 24mm on their housing.

So the answer is "it depends" mainly on your housing selection. PM or direct email for details and pricing.

David Haas
Fantasea and Ikelite Equipment
www.haasimages.com

IMG_5238.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5403.jpg
    IMG_5403.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 281
Hi @grze11

I have a G7X in a Nauticam housing. I'm a pretty casual shooter but like to have good quality stills and video. The one button custom white balance on the G7X was very attractive to me. I also looked into wide angle options. I bought the 3.5 inch acrylic dome port, which restores the native in air field of view and allows for full zoom capability. This turned out to be a great choice for me rather than going with the dedicated short port/wide angle lens, without zoom and cost much, much less

Good diving, Craig

Hi @grze11

I have a G7X in a Nauticam housing. I'm a pretty casual shooter but like to have good quality stills and video. The one button custom white balance on the G7X was very attractive to me. I also looked into wide angle options. I bought the 3.5 inch acrylic dome port, which restores the native in air field of view and allows for full zoom capability. This turned out to be a great choice for me rather than going with the dedicated short port/wide angle lens, without zoom and cost much, much less
Good diving, Craig

Hi Craig,
thank you for your post.
G7X Mark II is not my first camera and I have accumulated some gear that I would like to continue to use. I like a lot to dive on the wrecks where I usually use an Inon UWl-H100 lens. So the dome port doesn't seem enough for me. I would prefer to have zoom through capability with a wet lens.
And perhaps you know that Canon removed this one button custom white balance option from G7x MkII. I am a big fan of CHDK firmware that I used on a couple of Canon powershot camera and now think that there will never be a version for the latest Canon cameras,
good diving, Greg

Search for Canon G7X Mark II and you'll see threads where I've shot the original G7X and Mark II.

Lots of wide choices and too many folks think they need 130 degrees when they shoot from 4' away etc.

On two trips this year with my Canon G7X Mark II I never shot wider than the native equivalent 24mm. One trip with an Ikelite housing and their tiny WD-3 wet dome lens. Then Hawaii in September with a Fantasea housing and their BigEye M67mm II thread in lens equaling only 28mm.

I also have Fantasea's BigEye F series dome that gives me 24mm on their housing.

So the answer is "it depends" mainly on your housing selection. PM or direct email for details and pricing.

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

View attachment 388226

Hi David,
I have already read through a couple of your posts. Pretty amazing pictures!
I have been reading about different housings available for Canon G7x M2 and it seems that I would go either for Nauticam or Recsea. I already own an Inon UWL-H100 and I like it. Quite a lot of people say that you need a short port to avoid vignetting with this kind of lens with G7x.
Do you deal in other brands than Ikelite and Fantasea?
Cheers,
Greg

1651427Canon-G7X-II780x390.jpg

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

View attachment 388226
how about this original canon housing ? (for canon g7x mark ii)
it is had a wide angle lens or dome ? or i can buy a dome and put on the canon housing ?
* sorry for my english , thanks for the answer ..

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom