Gag Reflex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisEdwards

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Total newbie here, but very determined. I do my OWC next weekend.

I did a resort dive a few weeks ago, which was a couple of hours in a pool and two 45 minute dives off Key West, one on one with an instructor.

So yesterday, I'm checking out my new gear, as I said I'm very determined and have already purchased everything. I want to take the class in my gear and learn with it, if somethings not quite right from an equipment standpoint, i'll deal with it later.

Anyway,to my problem/concern, I'm six feet down at the bottom of my pool, breath in and I start to rise, breath out and I sink, both very slowly.

After 25 minutes, I've counted about every dead inspect and leaf about 17 times, when all of a sudden I get this gag reflex with the regulator where I feel I have to get the regulator out of my mouth. I fight this for a few seconds and then start to cough as if choking, still retaining the regulator in my mouth. Eventually, the only way I could clear it was to surface and breath through my nose for a few seconds.

I'd never had this happen while snorkeling and it didn't happen during my resort dives.

I do have a strong gag reflex to foreign things in my mouth and it's usually quite hard for my dentist to get X-Rays.

I bought an Atomic B2 regulator and a Z2 Octo, they both use the same mouthpiece. The mouthpiece seems quite firm and rigid.

Anyway to the more seasoned divers, has anyone else experienced this, trips and tricks would be much appreciated to overcome this.

I did purchase a spare Atomic mouthpiece and have been wearing it while watching TV and such, and touch wood, have not experienced the same thing again. My wife thinks I'm nuts walking around the house with this black tube sticking out my mouth sounding like Darth Vader.

Thanks in advance for your replies (even though I know I'll probably get lectured on buying equipment too soon).

Just out of curiosity why are you in a pool by yourself before you are certified? Good way to get yourself killed. :wink: As to the subject at hand it could be that your gag reflex kicked in or it could be bad air. I would be wary of a place that will rent or fill a tank without seeing a C-card. As for buying equipment to early some will argue with and some will argue against. I personally bought mine during my instruction but I was running a dive shop and got a pro deal so it was worth it. Now I'm changing to a BP/W and Atomic regulators. I don't think you will be disappointed with the Atomics.

Oh ya and enjoy your OW class.:D

You were *running a dive shop* before you got certified? Wow, and people say you shouldn't buy equipment first!
gomi_

ChrisEdwards:
After 25 minutes, I've counted about every dead inspect and leaf about 17 times, when all of a sudden I get this gag reflex with the regulator where I feel I have to get the regulator out of my mouth. I fight this for a few seconds and then start to cough as if choking, still retaining the regulator in my mouth. Eventually, the only way I could clear it was to surface and breath through my nose for a few seconds.

I can't say that makes much sense to me.

It sounds stupid, but try breathing through your regulator AT THE SURFACE for a half-hour. If it happens every time in the water but never at the surface, I'd conclude that it doesn't have anything to do with your regulator.

My first guess (though I may be completely wrong) is that, over time, your mask is getting flooded. Most new divers (and many seasoned ones) can't handle breathing while their eyes are wet (human instinct). In shallow water where you can stand up to get your upper body out, stick your face in, breath normally though your reg, and take your mask off (eyes opened). See if the sensation is what you've been experiencing.

(with the caveat that I agree with MS's post: you shouldn't be diving unsupervised)

You could try trimming the backs of the mouthpiece off. I used to do that when I had to use a mouthguard when playing football.

If you think it was to do with the mouthpiece there are several options available.

The seacure is a long mouthpiece that you can form to your teeth as you would a protective sports mouthguard. Its length can have that tendency to people who have a strong gag reflex. The comfobite is the shortest I have seen and its got like a splashguard accross the top that hits the roof of your mouth, which I have seen some people say they dont like but it does not bother me.

I dunno if this is your cause but generally after you breath for awhile you dry out some of the earlier portion of your air passage, could drymouth be affecting your trigger? If so you may learn to use a hydration bladder, but I would recommend getting in more time with an instructor while you try and find the trigger and afterward keep a good buddy handy that is aware of that potential issue.

Hmm.. When I read this, I immediately thought about how dry my throat gets after a while underwater. Anyone else think this may be the problem? I remember seeing an ad for a device that actually moistens the air a bit during a dive...

Uncertified, inexperienced. unsupervised(?) diver underwater for 27 minutes. Hmmm.

How much air did you have left in your tank when you surfaced? If you were
low, it could have been the harder breathing that triggered the gag reflex.

You might want to wait until you've actually started class before heading underwater
on your own. Not an order, just a friendly suggestion. :D

More than likely what you experienced is a anxiety. Combined with your overactive gag-reflex, the new enviroment, new equipment, lack of training and I am sure that the list could go on and on. This is called task loading and wheter you realize it or not you are under a lot of stress. I realize that everyone is stelling you to stay out of the water until you get OW trianed and this is probably good advice......but since you will probably not listen to them you should practice in the shallow end sitting on the bottom. Take deep breaths in and full breaths out and try not to think about your mouthpiece or your gag-reflex. Unless you have some type of special condition your gag-reflex is mostly in your head and it is something that you are going to have to try to overcome on your own. Practice, practice, practice. Remember this....crawl, walk, run.........get your training and start doing some easy shallow dives with a buddy.

The bad thing about all of this is that you bought all of your gear and now you are having problems that are making you feel as if you must come to the surface to take care of them. If these problems continue after training and after several "easy" dives you will probably have to come to terms that you are not going to be able to dive for safety reasons. As you will learn going to the surface to deal with a problem is not always an option.... Deep dives you may have several minutes before you can make a "safe" assent to the surface. Not to mention a saftey stop to add more time before you hit the surface. In a pool the surface is there but if you are feeling that you must get the reg out of your mouth immediatly in a pool what will happen at 30ft......how about 60ft.......now what is you are at 130ft??????? your anxiety can quickly go into PANIC and then you endanger yourself, your buddy and any other who may try to help you.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear and I know that you are probably thinking that I am being too critical....but think about it....... Diving is very exciting but it is not worth killing yourself or your buddies over.....

Good luck and I hope you can work past your gag-reflex........Let me know how your training goes and if you figured out how to overcome your gag-reflex issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom