• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Galapagos 3 days open post liveaboard- seeking recommendations

Discussion in 'South America' started by texmaxdiver, Jun 7, 2021.

1. texmaxdiver

texmaxdiver Registered

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Hi everyone,
    We are going down to Galapagos in early August for a live aboard dive trip. We have 3 days after the boat returns to port before we fly out of Guayaquil early the morning of the 4th day.

We will have already spent some time Guayaquil and San Cristobal on the way in, so we will get to explore that earlier in the trip.

So, we have almost 3 full days to explore some of Ecuador, starting and returning to Guayaquil.

I would really appreciate any advice on what we should do as a side trip. Open to more diving, mountains, rivers, overnights... Almost anything.

2. Azbuceadora

Azbuceadora Registered

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I lived in Ecuador for several years and am active on the TripAdvisor forums. Any diving after Galapagos is going to be a letdown. If you enjoy wildlife, there are a number of reserves in and around Guayaquil. To get to the Andes without sucking up too much time, I would suggest a 45 minute flight to Quito and environs, or a 4 hour bus ride to Cuenca (or hire a driver who could get you there more quickly). There are some wonderful areas to explore around there besides the city itself.

3. texmaxdiver

texmaxdiver Registered

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Thanks for the suggestions! So, maybe we strike diving off the list and just focus on land excursions. I'll look into Cuenca and try to find a driver. Is there a link to the forums you mention on Trip Advisor?

4. Azbuceadora

Azbuceadora Registered

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    The main Ecuador forum Ecuador Forum, Travel Discussion for Ecuador - Tripadvisor And the Cuenca-specific forum Cuenca Forum, Travel Discussion for Cuenca, Ecuador - Tripadvisor

Cuenca is a lovely city if you enjoy architecture and cultural sites. There is a workshop where you can watch Panama hats being made (yes, they are Ecuadorian in origin and not from Panama) and sold. I also enjoy the outlying areas where there are weaving villages and a fabulous orchid farm, as well as small fabricators of handmade guitars and other instruments.

There is a national park nearby, El Cajas, that is pretty spectacular, with hiking trails and small brilliant blue lakes.