Galapagos conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI, Galapagos has high salinity. You can estimate weight requirements to start with as about 10% of your body weight, and trim from there. Better to be heavy when your hanging onto the wall at Darwins Arch and being washed back and forth from the surge.

I'll post a trip report later, but...

Northern islands temps started around 72-74 the first day and dropped to 68 the second. Vis was about 50 feet 15 meters and dropped to about 30 feet or 10 meters.

Southern islands temps 64 vis 50 feet.

Sharks, rays, and turtles on every dive. No whale sharks.

TwoBit

I'll post a trip report later, but...

Northern islands temps started around 72-74 the first day and dropped to 68 the second. Vis was about 50 feet 15 meters and dropped to about 30 feet or 10 meters.

Southern islands temps 64 vis 50 feet.

Sharks, rays, and turtles on every dive. No whale sharks.
No whale sharks in August? You should demand a refund :shocked2:

We saw a diver left behind from a different live aboard while we were there so comfort on the surface in rough seas is a must.
If you get sea sick or anxious this is no place for you. It is tough and you need to be ready. Panicking in current can be fatal!
It was the best trip I've ever taken but I was thankful that I had a bunch of tough, cool water and heavy current dives before-hand. My Pemba Island trip prepared me for the panga entries/exits and rapid descents as currents there were ripping, too.

We saw a diver left behind from a different live aboard while we were there so comfort on the surface in rough seas is a must.
If you get sea sick or anxious this is no place for you. It is tough and you need to be ready. Panicking in current can be fatal!
It was the best trip I've ever taken but I was thankful that I had a bunch of tough, cool water and heavy current dives before-hand. My Pemba Island trip prepared me for the panga entries/exits and rapid descents as currents there were ripping, too.

What do you mean left behind?
I have to admit that sea sickness is one of my worries. Cool water is fine (68F is best case in summer here in Melbourne), current is not such a concern (got some recent practice)..

He was from another live aboard. Our Panga picked him up and his boat sent a Panga back to get him. They had forgotten him.
We had number tags each dive that we had to hand back to the DM for accurate headcount.

He was from another live aboard. Our Panga picked him up and his boat sent a Panga back to get him. They had forgotten him.
We had number tags each dive that we had to hand back to the DM for accurate headcount.

Can you tell us what boat you were on, and what boat the diver was from?

Originally Posted by tracydr

I would also be keen to hear that info.

Just got this from one of our boats in Galapagos.

You may know that in Galapagos the water temperatures are lower than normal (Now in August we find water temperatures 14-16 Celsius) (57-60F), saying we have LA NINA event, I will forward you a communication in Spanish regarding this.
This lower temperatures will increase the chances to see big pelagics, and also the need to use more thermal protection for divers. (We now use 7 m/m and hood, but semidry or dry will be also good choice.
Surface conditions can be more moved (waves, surge....), and we expect currents become stronger.
Please do not forget to ask divers to have proper diving insurance.

For those looking for last minute space we have a space on several departures during remainder of whale shark season.

Thanks for the info, we picked a time when we hoped El Nino would be over. Guess it is be careful what you wish for. Animal sightings are welcome along with condition updates! See you in Sept.

* bump *

I'm heading down there in about 10 days or so... Does anybody have info about the current conditions? Is La Nina still affecting the area? I looked at the captain's log on the Aggressor website but the last update is from mid-december...

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom