Galapagos - Ecuadorean Presidential Decree

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LouUK:
LOL. Blimey - you must have some wide angle lens to get that shot of a whale shark from two metres (a meter is something you measure with :D)!

Well, Lou, my Sea & Sea 12mm fisheye lens should enable me to get a nice shot of any whaleshark we see with my Nikonos V from two metres. :wink:

In case you are interested, and since we have a hard time believing any good news out of Ecuador, here is my translation of the motions and voting that has line aboard dive trips operating until December 31st, 2007.

Attachments

• Voting of Motions.doc
    69 KB · Views: 105
Thankx cowjazz for this update! If I read your document, is the second part about fishing decree 210? I mean the thing that if they catch a shark they can fin it?

onderwaterfoto:
Thankx cowjazz for this update! If I read your document, is the second part about fishing decree 210? I mean the thing that if they catch a shark they can fin it?

No, it does not address the shark finning issue.

I think the second motion was made by the fishing sector after the moratorium was granted on the diving ban. The vote is saying that the yachts that are now permitted to conduct diving tours under the moratorium until December 31st cannot use this permission to claim an "acquired right" to conduct a combination of diving and land tours after December 31st. This is the vote that has people speculating that after December 31st, tours will be either diving or land, but not a combination of both.

That's my interpretation, but I could be wrong. Here is the original version of the motions and votes in Spanish if someone else wants to take a shot at it.

Attachments

• Registro votacisn y mocisn AIM 27 ago 07.doc
    53 KB · Views: 68
Today,

I received the official statement from my Dutch Tour Operator. They received an official letter from Quasar Nautica (operator of the boats: Lammerlaw and Mistral). See attachment for more info...

Attachments

• Letter to Clients AIMresolution.pdf
    97.7 KB · Views: 100
Sitting in Quito, just in from the Galapagos. 10-12 whale sharks over 7 dives, but the first dive at darwin was the best, with 5 or of those sightings. Two close swim bys, including one at 19 feet during a safety stop. also a mama and babe swimming around. no albine unfortunately.

hammer action was good. not quite as good as last time, but still a great trip. mantas, eagle rays, cownose rays, slkies, galapagos sharks, sea lions, the works

good to go now, there's big changes in the works, starting now. accdg to our boat, they are only allownig one boat per day at wolf or darwin, staggered. not sure how this is going to work, but maybe it'll keep an eye on the fishermen. As of 2008, as we've heard, no land tours. but also a rumor that all diving will have to be completed by noon in the central islands. not sure how accurate that is

Off to the amazon region for a few days.

ChrisM:
good to go now, there's big changes in the works, starting now. accdg to our boat, they are only allownig one boat per day at wolf or darwin, staggered. not sure how this is going to work, but maybe it'll keep an eye on the fishermen. .

Will be very interested to see how this tallies with the statement that they will honour all itineraries between now and December - it seems to contradict that.

I hope you told those whale sharks to hang around a few more weeks :D Enjoy the Amazon!

Chris, are you back in Cali? I'd be curious to hear more about your trip...you were on the Deep Blue, correct?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom