Galapagos El Nino Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BluewaterPhoto

Bluewater Photo & Travel
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I visited the Galapagos 2 months ago in late January / early February.

The diving was out of this world. We had non stop crazy hammerhead action on dive after dive. Mola molas all around us, penguins, manta rays, eagle rays, mobula rays, silky sharks, yellowfin tuna, barracuda, jacks, galapagos sharks, giant tortoises, blue footed boobies, so much more. We stopped counting turtles after the second day.

The water was warm, I mean that in a good way. I wore a full 3mm the entire trip, sometimes with a hooded vest underneath.Visibility was great. There were some stiff thermoclines at Punta Vicente Roca.

Anyone who dives the Galapagos this year is going to be really, really lucky because of the unique combination of warm water and tons of hammerheads. The dive sites were rockin!

The main effect that I saw of El Nino was less bait fish in the SE islands, and we didn't find any penguins at Bartolome Island.

If anyone wants to go to the Galapagos this year on a liveaboard, contact me and as a travel agent I can get you an unbeatable deal on several different trips.

My trip was a 10-night trip on the Galapagos Master, I really liked the boat, it is very roomy and safety conscious. I have it chartered again for a couple more trips. I do recommend going with an experienced trip leader like myself who will help choose the dives / dive sites as I feel it will make a big difference in the quality of your trip at this location, if you want to see the maximum amount of marine life.

Read my full Galapagos dive report for more details, and to watch a video of the trip.

web-galapagos-117.jpg

web-galapagos-173.jpg

web-galapagos-51.jpg

web-galapagos.jpg

web-galapagos2-2.jpg

Here I am getting close to the wildlife​

I'm going back to the Galapagos in 1 week, I can't wait! I'll post another report when I return. Fingers crossed for more sharks, Mola mola, and more.

Scott Gietler

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom