Galapagos in 1 week !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also over-packed. As long as you are willing to "re-cycle" your clothes I think you can get away with much less than you would think. 2-3 pairs of shorts, 2-3 bathing suits, t-shirts, sweatshirt, windbreaker/raincoat, sneakers, sock, flip-flops and you are good to go. oh yeah, a hat or two so lauren could borrow mine :wink: As far as dive gear, I was happy I bought spring straps for my fins. Easy on and off is very good especially for diving from a dingy. As others have said, one pair of warm water reef gloves (with the suede fingers and palms) were perfect. I used a 7mm insta-dry suit (no hood) for all dives except the coldest ones (63 degrees on the northwest part of Isabella - Punta Vincente Roca) and for me it was more than enough. I don't think the 7 day trips even go to these cold sites (we had a 10 day trip) so if you are ok with 5mm in 70 degrees I would return that 7mm suit and just wear 5mm. The only thing I wished I had was a reef hook. Sea-sickness meds (TransDerm Scop) is a good idea if you get seasick.

Ah yes, forgot about the seasickness patch. Glad I had that on. I took it off one day (because I was experiencing blurry short-range vision) and the results were less than ideal.

I think in terms of the warm weather clothes, if you would like to have a long sleeve on when you're wet and it's 70 degrees and there's a strong breeze going, then you'll want one. All the girls anyway were SPRINTING for the warm blankets when we came back from the dives. It was cold. At the end of the trip when they show you all the Aggressor stuff you can buy, a bunch of us mentioned they wish they'd offered the sweatshirt/windbreaker thing on the first night as it would have been good to have.

I don't really feel like I overpacked - I wore everything I brought with me several times, except for the tank tops. It made me feel a little gross to keep wearing "dirty" stuff. I seem to be in the minority here though. Probably being a girl has something to do with it.

One week to go for me now! Ron, your videos have really got me psyched, it's difficult to choose a favorite.

This morning I've been tweaking my gear for the trip and have made some modifications based on the sage advice offered here. I acquired a reef hook and will be bringing just one pair of reef gloves. I am bringing my 5mm plus a 3mm hooded vest for the colder sites. I think this will be sufficient for me.

I am a pretty bare bones traveler when it comes to clothes and such but I am determined to bring my steel backplate even if I have to pay extra. Sounds like this might not be a real issue anyway.

I've also started running again recently myself. Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom