Galapagos in March or April?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zeina

Contributor
Reaction score
My buddy and I are considering a trip to the Galapagos :)
A good timing for us would be March or April.
Has anyone been there around that period?
Is there a "better" season for shark action? (hammerheads, white tips, etc.)

Also, has anyone been on the "other" live-aboards: New Daphne, Mistral, or Lammer Law?

Thanks!!

Zeina

Hi

The Best time for Hammerheads is the Fall ie September October this is when you get the most Whale Sharks and Hammerheads are shoaling in the thousands.

That is why I specifically chartered my liveaboard for September 2003 as I wanted to take full adantage of the Hammerhead action.
This has been confirmed with a friend of mone just getting back and seeing 18 whale sharks and he also said the shark action was AWESOME.

I went to Cocos during febuary 2000 and while i saw a few Hammerheads it was not like you see on geographic as I was told I cam the wrong time of year

I wont make the same mistake this time :)

If you can come in September drop me a line i have 4 spots still left on my charter wit the Aggressor

I can't wait

regards

Gaz Cooper

There is no way I can go on vacation around that period in my current job :(
Is November any good?

Hi Zeina,

More big pelagic action in Oct, but early spring was nice, too. No whale sharks, but mantas, Galapagos sharks, white tip sharks & schools of hammerheads numbering in the 100s.

Pleasant temps topside in the spring, and somwhat warmer water.

It's pretty hard to have bad diving in the Galapagos.

Go for it.

DocVikingo

Thanks for sharing your (extensive) experience Doc, I feel much better already :)

Galapagos, here we come!! :moose:

Hi,

I just returned from a few days in the rainforest and one week aboard the Peter Hughes Sky Dancer the Galapagos. What a thrill. It was the most exciting trip of my life. Two weeks before our trip there was 19 whale shark sitings that I hear about. Unfortunately the week we were there no one on the Sky Dancer saw one. No mantas either. However, we dove with sea lions almost every dive, hammerheads, galapagos sharks, and white tips. No schools of hundreds more like 9 or so at a time, but continuous throughout many of the dives. Sea horses everywhere and on one dive we saw 6 red lipped batfish. Many eagle rays.

Even without a whale shark siting it was absolutely fantastic. My research said Oct. Nov. to be best months for the big animal encounters, but then our divemaster said summer was best. The water heated up 2-3 degress the week we were there so that might have made the difference between 19 whale shark sitings and none. Some on out boat were disappointed in a small way, but all said it was the betst experience diving they had ever had.

I am already planning my next trip in three years.

Laine

Laine:
Welcome back. Sounds like a fasinating trip. Thanks for the report.
Is it too personal of a question to ask you how much the whole thing costs?
That's probably the only thing holding me back. Can't really afford it yet, with a son in college.
:)

If you go straightaway without any extra time in Quito/Guyaquil or the Galapagos, from Chicago plan on about $4,000-$4,200 when all is said & done.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Thanks for the info Doc. We'd have to times that by two, since my dive buddy would never want me to go without him.
That's $8000.00 or so which is = to one semester at Marquette University, after the scholarships kick in.
I guess I'll have to wait for retirement!

I have a 10 part magnum opus trip report that will drive you mad.

Maybe after graduation.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom