Galapagos; is it really worth $5k US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba7

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Going to South America in April/May/June and keen to do a liveaboard in the Galapagos.
But is it really that great?
I think its 16/17 dives for $5000US.
Not whale shark season, but I think Hammerheads are seen all year around.

Should I do it, or go back another time?

Not fussed about the islands themselves so much, just the diving.

cheers

Before I was diving; I took the wife on the land package to the Galapagos for a few bucks less but everyone I have spoke to about the diving said it was awesome! I have dove the Coco's which is pretty much on par when it comes to pelagic... I hear the whale sharks are quite prevalent in the Galapagos be we had one on at least 5 dives... If its as good as the Coco Island and I hear its better; then I would say that 5k, although quite steep, could be well worth it!

My understanding is the rules have changed regarding how many dives at the choice locations in the GI... that would be something I would check into!!!

lee

PS Hammerhead Sharks were abundant in the Cocos... ended up with at tat because of 'em! Oh, the GI land package is awesome in its own right!!! We did 14 days... However, because of this trip, we started diving... Last thing (I swear) I think the difference between a bad trip, a good trip, or a awesome trip is mostly due to luck and the boat your on... Hard to plan on a storm 6 months away but its always a roll of the dice on these types of trips; IMHO!

Last edited:
I'd say not worth it...I enjoyed and saw far more going to the Socorro's than Galapagos, and at half the price, far closer to most, etc.

I'd say not worth it...I enjoyed and saw far more going to the Socorro's than Galapagos, and at half the price, far closer to most, etc.

Who did you go with?

---------- Post added December 31st, 2012 at 03:55 PM ----------

I checked the Solmar V and Nautilus and the Solmar V was nearly $2k cheaper, but the Nautilus is only about $1k cheaper.

Also, how do you get to Cabo San Lucas?

I was planning to fly into Mexico City, but there are AFAIK no direct flights.

I've never been (had a free scientific trip to Cocos and the Galapagos a few years ago but my son decided to get married the day we were to arrive in the GI). However, my #1 dive buddy Andrea (who worked on the Aggressor and Peter Hughes fleets) said it was some of the most awesome diving she's ever done.

As a certified dive buim, I'd have to rob our local bank about a dozen times to get enough cash to pay for such a trip (and I'm afraid they'd eventually recognize me)!

I've never been (had a free scientific trip to Cocos and the Galapagos a few years ago but my son decided to get married the day we were to arrive in the GI). However, my #1 dive buddy Andrea (who worked on the Aggressor and Peter Hughes fleets) said it was some of the most awesome diving she's ever done.

Thanks mate. But I will miss out on whale shark season, and I can do that at Cancun (snorkeling).

It sounds nice, but I am doing 8-10 weeks in South America, and would rather do either/or, not both for the time/money/stress involved.

Maybe if everyone said "hell yeah, def do it", I would, but that is not the case.

Happy new year.

The other boats that do the Socorros (other than the two you mentioned, which are also the boats that have been doing the itinerary the lognest) are the Rocio Del Mar, the Aggressor, and the boat I've been on twice, Sea Escape. The airport code for Cabo San Lucas is SJD--San Jose del Cabo, about a 30 minute drive away. There should be loads of flights from Mexico City, or, if you just want to do your international flight into Los Angeles, Cabo is a two hour non stop flight from LA. The extra savings come not just from the LOB trip itself, but not having to deal with airfare to Guayaquil or Quito, PLUS another 500-600 r/t air from mainland Ecuador to the Galapagos, national park fees, etc.

The other boats that do the Socorros (other than the two you mentioned, which are also the boats that have been doing the itinerary the lognest) are the Rocio Del Mar, the Aggressor, and the boat I've been on twice, Sea Escape..

Thanks, will check em out.

I just returned from a 7-day liveaboard on Wolf Buddy and had the best dive trip I have ever had. I've been diving for about 7 years and have been all over the world, Thailand, Philippines, Maldives, Palau, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Okinawa, Caymans, BVI, Soccorro, and Cozumel to name a few... and this is the best diving I've ever experienced hands down. Mola molas, hammerheads, galapagos sharks, turtles, mobula, whale sharks, penguins, playful sea lions, dolphins, spotted eagle rays, schools of barracudas, jacks, tuna, etc... The school of fish were so dense at times that you couldn't see the hammerhead schools in the distance. We saw something exciting on every dive. I highly recommend it. [By the way, if you are considering Soccorro, I had a great trip with the Nautilus Explorer.]

Here's a link to some of the highlights of our Galapagos trip: http://youtu.be/zaAVYaoCHxc

Wherever you wind up, enjoy!

The Galapagos is just fantastic, it worth every single penny and more....it will blow your mind !! There is no other place like it and it's the absolute gem of planet earth.....go !! You just have to go !!

I took some pics with just a point and shoot camera, not the best pics but will give you an idea of whats to see....if you love diving and nature then Galapagos is a MUST !!

Below the waves....
http://www.warrenssite.com/Galapagos/Galapagos/17943285_qPTFzs#!i=1924655437&k=zp2fVxS

Above the waves....
http://www.warrenssite.com/Galapagos/Galapagos-Above-the-water/23756696_7txLvZ#!i=1929694682&k=tFkPkLX

Back
Top Bottom