Galapagos Or Coco's in Dec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orenbvip

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for some honest advice as to which destination for this late nov/dec?

If i do the Galapagos I have another 2 weeks, any must dive destinations in south america? columbia?

any insight is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Personally I would do at least +7 days just in the Galapagos. I've done a 2 week extension at least a couple times. If you're keen to dive more I've had some great dives at sites that are now restricted to the land-based ops, e.g. my best frolicking sea lion dive at Mosquera, and my best schooling rays at Gordon's Rocks (admittedly both were done with liveaboards before the dive sites got split by GNP). I've done Kicker Rock twice with land-based ops and enjoyed it both times - one of the two days was absolutely superb (e.g. better than my Isabela liveaboard dives). My only concern would be dive time restrictions and potential 'babysitting' from the land-based ops. For Kicker Rock the issue is getting a dive op to confirm the trip, esp. if you are the only one who wants to dive it in your party. You need a local person to wrangle that and it may only be confirmed a few days before you land. You could also do a land touring cruise which visits sites you can't see any other way. Or there's lots to see in Isabela by boat, foot, bicycle, etc.

My experience diving Malpelo (Colombia) was far beneath my experience of the Galapagos, but I have only been there once. The other side of Colombia is Caribbean diving.

Cocos vs. Galapagos is IMO a religious issue. I far prefer Galapagos but again, some of that may boil down to luck. I would avoid Cocos in an El Nino year.

You could consider an Ocotal, Costa Rica extension. The non-fed bull shark dive there is eerie. But other than that dive, the diving is far below Galapagos IMHO. You'll have to book with Rocket Frog to make a bull shark trip in the winter (which also requires a 4 diver minimum). But is that one dive worth going all the way there? I would choose Galapagos wildlife over Ocotal personally, but I am not a partier.

You could consider some time in Corcovado National Park in Costa Rica. I have not been but have heard it's wonderful.

Hi orenbvip,

We have a space free that has just come up on the Galapagos Aggressor in a Deluxe cabin.

Here are the details:
10 – 17 December 2015
Deluxe twin/double bed cabin Was US$ 5,595
Now US$ 5,035
Save US$ 560!

Drop us an email to sales@dive-the-world.com to secure this spot or for more info.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom