Galileo Sol Transmitter Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi New to forum and I wanted to ask a question? Where should I post?

Been diving 30 years and bought Galileo Sol in 2012. I am on my second transmitter (TX). First one started saying low battery and had to replace button cell every day while diving in Cape Verde. So now replaced (at cost as it was diagnosed as being faulty) with new one that takes the CR 2/3 AA i./e the newer one. And guess what it now is causing problems not reading and I have to place the hand unit almost next to the transmitter for it to read so I assume a battery problem but no low battery alarm as before.

I have since replaced the battery and noticed the old battery was measuring about 2.4 volts & the new one about 3.4 volts. Funny thing is when left for a few minutes the old batter started to show 3 volts so it must be under load?

So I have now a number of questions:

1. Is the TX always on or just when under pressure? Taking the old battery out and measuring under load voltage (2.4) and out of circuit (3.0) would indicate that it is?
2. Why no battery low alarm as with old TX?
3. Have I yet got another faulty TX? Therefore either I am having bad luck or the units are inherently problematic.

Thanks. Sorry if not right place to post

Hi New to forum and I wanted to ask a question? Where should I post?

Been diving 30 years and bought Galileo Sol in 2012. I am on my second transmitter (TX). First one started saying low battery and had to replace button cell every day while diving in Cape Verde. So now replaced (at cost as it was diagnosed as being faulty) with new one that takes the CR 2/3 AA i./e the newer one. And guess what it now is causing problems not reading and I have to place the hand unit almost next to the transmitter for it to read so I assume a battery problem but no low battery alarm as before.

I have since replaced the battery and noticed the old battery was measuring about 2.4 volts & the new one about 3.4 volts. Funny thing is when left for a few minutes the old batter started to show 3 volts so it must be under load?

So I have now a number of questions:

1. Is the TX always on or just when under pressure? Taking the old battery out and measuring under load voltage (2.4) and out of circuit (3.0) would indicate that it is?
2. Why no battery low alarm as with old TX?
3. Have I yet got another faulty TX? Therefore either I am having bad luck or the units are inherently problematic.

Thanks. Sorry if not right place to post

Hi, Liver_Diver . . . Eew, the visual from your name . . . welcome!

1. Is the TX always on or just when under pressure? Transmitter is on only when pressurized.
Taking the old battery out and measuring under load voltage (2.4) and out of circuit (3.0) would indicate that it is?
I wouldn't say that is anything -- Side Note: Do you carefully wipe the battery with a clean cloth and install it with the clean cloth? Oil from your fingers can create a drain path.

2. Why no battery low alarm as with old TX? Perhaps the CR battery hasn't dropped as low? I do not know. What is the resistance across the battery terminals (sans battery) when it is pressurized? When not pressurized? It should be infinite when not pressurized.

I have ten transmitters, all of the button type. I collected them (used) over the years. I have only had one faulty one. I would send it back under warranty.

If you want, you could click the "Report" button (lower left box in your post, after your name and post time/date info) and ask a moderator to move it to the ScubaPro Forum, or the computers / gauges forum.

In the mean time, I think I will measure one of my transmitters, because I am curious.

@Liver_Diver

My button batty is stamped with "3 Volts". Removed, it measured 3.01V. Put into the disconnected (not pressurized) transmitter, it still read 3.01V.

With no battery, the resistance between the battery terminals is Infinite.

Installed the transmitter, and not-pressurized, it read 3.01V.

After it pressurized, it toggled between 3.01V and ~2.95V. I am guessing it was the sampling rate and how often it signals the computer.

So, no drain when not pressurized.

I have not schematics, so this is guessing: The battery should be at 3.0V. 2.4V under load does not sound right - I would try yet another battery. HOWEVER, let the transmitter settle for a few seconds before measuring. The first thing the transmitter does, upon turning on (pressurizing) is to send a "Pairing" signal. That *might* account for the large 0.6V drop. The transmitter then goes into signaling the pressure and battery at regular intervals and I suspect that is my 0.05V swing I saw.. The computer will give a transmitter warning when it has not received a signal over a given amount of time. I am guessing that is about 30 seconds. It will give a "low transmitter battery" when the transmitter signals it is low - again, my guess.

Are these generic batteries or batteries from Duracell or Energizer?

I have had problems with old or generic batteries in other devices so I go with brand name new stock batteries in my dive computers.

Are you measuring the battery voltages under load? If the multimeter is not expressly designed for that purpose, the voltages reported can be misleading. Get a resistor and use that in circuit when measuring. Use Ohm's law to calculate expected voltage.

OK still having the same problems contacted Robin Hood Watersports as bought from there. Will have to go off to ScupaPro workshops will let you know outcome. I suspect yet another faulty transmitter so this will be 3 and counting over 3.5 year. Definitely TX problem as computer still works with old TX from Uwatec Smart Z.

I see now there is a new TX with LED on the end?

This is starting to get expensive new TX approx. every year, maybe time to change to a different computer? MARES?

The new transmitter does give battery low warnings. For me, it happens all the time. My LDS sent it to scubapro who said it was normal so I must assume that the transmitter is only designed to give about 25 dives on a battery. According to my LDS, scubapro sent out a large number of defective replacement batteries. A few replacements ago, my battery lasted about two dives and when I returned it, the LDS said they got a batch where 8 out of 10 batteries didn't work. I'd bet that batch was bigger than the one store's shipment.

Also, they've recently switched batteries to a 3.6v cell. Fortunately, the 3.6's are cheaper. See my post about it here if the workshop doesn't get you fixed up.

I, too, considered switching computers. The problem with the high end mares imo is that it's rechargeable and only gets a few dives between charges... if only shearwater had a computer with audible alarms and hoseless AI it would be the perfect dive computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom