Galileo Sol Troubling Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I completed two dives in the Atlantic off NJ last week. I wear two computers, one is a TUSA IQ 800, the other a AI Galileo Sol. (I have a backup SPG too). Both computers set on least conservative profiles. (I was wearing the heart strap for the Galileo-important). I was diving air at a depth of 90 feet for both dives. First dive was 40 mins; SI about 90 mins. No issues. On the second dive, the two computers started to differ in NDT after about 10 minutes. The Galileo was showing 3 mins; The TUSA - 7 mins. I ascended to about 70ft. TUSA moves up to 12 mins; Galileo goes into DECO. I ascend to about 50 - do a stop of 5 mins; Then a 10 min stop at 30 and 10mins at 20. Then surface. TUSA is fine. Galileo is alerting the authorities to bring a body bag.

I downloaded the profiles on my computer and identified what I suspect to be the problem. The Galileo calculates NDLs based on standard algorithms, aspiration, temp and heart rate. According to the computer, my heart rate had gone from 80 bpm and stayed at 220bpm for about one minute - three times in the dive. (I work out 4/5 days a week and wear a HR monitor and I've never seen 220bpm!).

I suspect that the HR input (together with 48F water) pushed the computer into early deco. A major pain in the butt. I was beeping like a broken alarm clock when I surfaced. Also flashing the name of my next of kin. I have also found that once you violate NDLs, the computer is done for 3 days.

I will never wear the heart-strap again. It seems like innocuous data but can really screw up your dives big time. I understand that the chest-strap is probably the problem here, but the computer has not been designed to deal with this. The software is incapable of dealing with obviously murky data.

Anyone else have similar issues?

...which reminds me, since when is someone NOT having an 'issue' with their 'Sol' ? ....and doesn't 'S. O. L. ' also stand for something else ?

scubafanatic
...which reminds me, since when is someone NOT having an 'issue' with their 'Sol' ? ....and doesn't 'S. O. L. ' also stand for something else ?

I have had the Sol since it came out and have no issues with it.
The only people that have an issue are the ones trying to upload their dives to a Mac. If you have read any other threads, you would realize this. Were you here to answer his question, or just Trolling.

Last edited:
I completed two dives in the Atlantic off NJ last week. I wear two computers, one is a TUSA IQ 800, the other a AI Galileo Sol. (I have a backup SPG too). Both computers set on least conservative profiles. (I was wearing the heart strap for the Galileo-important). I was diving air at a depth of 90 feet for both dives. First dive was 40 mins; SI about 90 mins. No issues. On the second dive, the two computers started to differ in NDT after about 10 minutes. The Galileo was showing 3 mins; The TUSA - 7 mins. I ascended to about 70ft. TUSA moves up to 12 mins; Galileo goes into DECO. I ascend to about 50 - do a stop of 5 mins; Then a 10 min stop at 30 and 10mins at 20. Then surface. TUSA is fine. Galileo is alerting the authorities to bring a body bag.

I downloaded the profiles on my computer and identified what I suspect to be the problem. The Galileo calculates NDLs based on standard algorithms, aspiration, temp and heart rate. According to the computer, my heart rate had gone from 80 bpm and stayed at 220bpm for about one minute - three times in the dive. (I work out 4/5 days a week and wear a HR monitor and I've never seen 220bpm!).

I suspect that the HR input (together with 48F water) pushed the computer into early deco. A major pain in the butt. I was beeping like a broken alarm clock when I surfaced. Also flashing the name of my next of kin. I have also found that once you violate NDLs, the computer is done for 3 days.

I will never wear the heart-strap again. It seems like innocuous data but can really screw up your dives big time. I understand that the chest-strap is probably the problem here, but the computer has not been designed to deal with this. The software is incapable of dealing with obviously murky data.

Anyone else have similar issues?
I don't use the HRM so I couldn't tell you about it. You might try resetting it back to original factory settings, then make your personal changes again and see if it works. Call UWATEC if that doesn't work. They are great to work with.

I turned off the heart monitor function the day I purchased the computer so I am not much help here. My Florida Cracker dive buddies would abuse me unmercifully if I strapped that thing on.

No, it stands for STUPID ONLINE LIP. As in you provide no help here. If you don't have anything constructive to say, get off your soapbox and go annoy others elsewhere.

Yes, SP was not really considering the other meanings of "SOL" when they named it. That kind of thing is common though.

In my job this spring I reviewed a computer data management system that is in serious need of replacement. Not a surprise I guess when you consider the acronym of its name is VRIS - or essentially "virus".

You can turn that feature off, but still record heart rate. I find it can also make mistakes in breathing rate, particularly if it momentarily looses it's connection, when it reconnects, as it now sees a lot of air gone.

On mine, I sometimes record heart information when I am not wearing the heart monitor, so there must be some interference.

However, as you can turn either or both of the work load adjusters off...

I have around 50 dives on it now, and while the wireless is much better than the older systems, it still is a bit questionable..if I put the sensor on my left side, and the computer on my left side, I don't alway connect... if I put the sensor on my right side, and the computer on my right side, I get a great connect ....I suspect that when screwed in, the transmitter is pointed in the wrong direction (threading issue).

Right now, with it on my right side, I have left the breathing rate adjustment in, and turned of the heart rate...only worn the heart monitor 3 times.. but it worked well each time...but would think it would not take much laying over the top of it to mess up the readings.. or putting your hands behind you (which I do sometimes)

No, it stands for STUPID ONLINE LIP. As in you provide no help here. If you don't have anything constructive to say, get off your soapbox and go annoy others elsewhere.

....after looking at your avitar, I'm tempted to ask that you 'clam up!'

....anyway, surely you did some sort of SB search prior to asking your question ? There are numerous threads, some quite lengthy, discussing 'issues' with the Sol, the most common issue that comes to mind is the wrist unit losing the HP transmitter signal, which seems to happen with enough Sol divers that I'd give that computer a very wide berth, especially considering how expensive it is...it is my view that SP had/has no business marketing a dive computer that's so unreliable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom