Galileo Sol Vs Galileo Luna

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ihtiander

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I decided to buy Galileo but.....Sol or Luna? I found that Sol is the same as Luna but come with HRM and PGM. I can survive easy w/o them both and I prefer black color but.....
I heard that Luna have same aluminium body as Sol but it just painted and when you get some scratches, they looks like silver scratches.
Could someone who use Luna confirm that or not please?

I have a Luna. It has a plastic body as far as I can tell. I've had it for six years and it's been scratched and I don't see any aluminum.

I also upgraded it with the HRM and PGM. I use the HRM occasionally but haven't used the PGM. I've tried a few times with sidemount but still haven't gotten the transmitters to both register at the same time. I'm sure it's user error, however, and not a problem with the PGM. Also, with the HRM, I spend more time looking for the Polar T31 coded transmitter than I spend actually wearing it.

I have the Sol and it has a plastic body as well. I highly recommend the Galileo after using it a few years now. Personally I do use the HR monitor but it's not necessary and you can always upgrade the Luna to get Sol functionality later if you want.

I have the Luna and I have upgraded it to the Sol spec by purchasing the HRM and the PMG upgrade and installing the trimix software. I personally found that the black plastic is much less forgiving of scratches than the silver of the Sol, hence my decision. If you aren't going to go trimix or PMG, then it is a no brainer - get the Luna.

The Luna also has a nice clam shell case, which allows you to fit the dive computer in its case into the tech bag and keep it protected. The Sol comes with its own large'ish case which has place for the tank pod (don't know why since it will always be screwed into your first stage) which in my view takes up too much space in your dive bag.

I have the Luna and I have upgraded it to the Sol spec by purchasing the HRM and the PMG upgrade and installing the trimix software. I personally found that the black plastic is much less forgiving of scratches than the silver of the Sol, hence my decision. If you aren't going to go trimix or PMG, then it is a no brainer - get the Luna.

The Luna also has a nice clam shell case, which allows you to fit the dive computer in its case into the tech bag and keep it protected. The Sol comes with its own large'ish case which has place for the tank pod (don't know why since it will always be screwed into your first stage) which in my view takes up too much space in your dive bag.
Thanx a lot. I already bought Luna. Should come next week. :)

Good choice.

I made an error in my post. What I meant to say was that the black plastic of the Luna is MORE forgiving of scratches. The silver shows up many more scratches.

I don't know about the Luna, but the Sol has a stainless steel faceplate glued to the computer, so I don't see how that is vulnerable to scratches. It's about as scratch resistant as you can get.

Having said that a number of us have had to re-glue the steel faceplate as it has come off over time.

@NickRuberg I asked about the trimix upgrade for my Sol at my LDS. They said that the upgrade greatly shortens NDLs for nitrox no-decompression dives compared to the standard Buhlman 8. The LDS said that, for "occasional" trimix divers the difference was so obnoxious that Scubapro had to come up with a further "upgrade" to allow users to "uninstall" the trimix algorithm and the LDS recommended buying a dedicated trimix computer instead.

Have you noticed this?

Can you make adjustments in the trimix algorigthm using the MB levels to get comparable NDLs? The LDS also said there was no way to switch between algorithms as the trimix upgrade replaced the old algorithm and you had to have one or the other.

You are one of the few people who has posted who has done both algorigthms, so your experience would be useful. If anyone else has input, please weigh in as well!

@NickRuberg I asked about the trimix upgrade for my Sol at my LDS. They said that the upgrade greatly shortens NDLs for nitrox no-decompression dives compared to the standard Buhlman 8. The LDS said that, for "occasional" trimix divers the difference was so obnoxious that Scubapro had to come up with a further "upgrade" to allow users to "uninstall" the trimix algorithm and the LDS recommended buying a dedicated trimix computer instead.

Have you noticed this?

Can you make adjustments in the trimix algorigthm using the MB levels to get comparable NDLs? The LDS also said there was no way to switch between algorithms as the trimix upgrade replaced the old algorithm and you had to have one or the other.

You are one of the few people who has posted who has done both algorigthms, so your experience would be useful. If anyone else has input, please weigh in as well!
Nope. It some mistake. I never used trimix. Sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom