Garmin Descent Mk1: Currently the best watch style dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary_Ward

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I've created a new Youtube channel to give me something to do during the Covid-19 lockdown, and we're having fun doing it. One of our new subscribers spotted that I was sporting a Descent Mk1 and asked me to comment on it....

About two years ago I wanted to upgrade my trusty old friend, my Suunto D6 to a new computer. I wanted to still keep the wrist watch style, but I wanted something I could use as a backup CCR computer too. I used my position in the industry to talk to the manufactures, some dealers and also some journalists before deciding that FOR ME, the Garmin Descent Mk1 was the best dive computer on the market.

Here is our little video why....

Your title asks a question.
The answer is no.
If it had AI, the answer might be maybe.
That is my opinion, just as you have yours, but I'm not pressing my opinion on the masses via YouTube.

@Gary_Ward best for you, sure.
I think the Teric is far and away a better dive computer. That said, it is not nearly as good as an everyday watch as the Descent IMO. @The Chairman here actually has both and wears the Descent all day every day, but the Teric always comes in the water with him... If I was living where you do, I'd probably have a Descent over a Teric, because it's the best for that situation IMO, all about compromises.

Your title asks a question.
The answer is no.
If it had AI, the answer might be maybe.
That is my opinion, just as you have yours, but I'm not pressing my opinion on the masses via YouTube.

"Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, and they're all slightly different".

I'm not pressing anyone to accept my opinion, but when i was asked "why did you choose to Descent?" it is because, for me, it best fits my needs, which means that for me, its the best dive computer on the market. You clearly value AI, and if you watched the video you would know why I (and many dive pro's and tech instructors) do not. That doesn't make me right and you wrong, it just means we have a different perspective and opinion, and both of those opinions can happily coexist as they both equally valid.

@Gary_Ward best for you, sure.
I think the Teric is far and away a better dive computer. That said, it is not nearly as good as an everyday watch as the Descent IMO. @The Chairman here actually has both and wears the Descent all day every day, but the Teric always comes in the water with him... If I was living where you do, I'd probably have a Descent over a Teric, because it's the best for that situation IMO, all about compromises.

Could not have put it better myself! For me its all about personal choices and personal situations. i have dedicated computers for when I tech and CCR dive (and yes, chosen preference there is the Shearwater Petrel 2), but as an everyday watch, smartwatch and computer, which also becomes my backup on tech and CCR... this one was the best for me. I do point out in the video that i think the Teric (in the same market area) is probably the best computer underwater as it has a better screen and (if you like it, I don't) can come with AI. In all other aspects, out of the water, the Garmin beats it hands down for functionality.

But its all about preferences and choice.....

"I prefer my fins, because they're orange. It doesn't make them better than your black ones, but my orange ones reflect my lighter, brighter personality better"

I've been using the Descent as my sports watch and backup computer for over a year. It is a decent basic dive computer. Along with its land based capabilities it is a great all purpose watch. Pretty expensive, though.

Even Bettridge's law says that the answer is no. Just kidding, maybe it is pretty nice? I prefer large screens over watch sized computers myself. It seems hard to believe Descent would be better than that shearwater watch style computer except in price. Like you said, opinions...

"Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, and they're all slightly different".
Thank you for this. I've been thinking about bringing a group to Carriacou; you've now helped me narrow down my choices of whom to dive with.

Could not have put it better myself! For me its all about personal choices and personal situations. i have dedicated computers for when I tech and CCR dive (and yes, chosen preference there is the Shearwater Petrel 2), but as an everyday watch, smartwatch and computer, which also becomes my backup on tech and CCR... this one was the best for me. I do point out in the video that i think the Teric (in the same market area) is probably the best computer underwater as it has a better screen and (if you like it, I don't) can come with AI. In all other aspects, out of the water, the Garmin beats it hands down for functionality.

"I prefer my fins, because they're orange. It doesn't make them better than your black ones, but my orange ones reflect my lighter, brighter personality better"
I absolutely agree with your statement, Teric is the best watch computer under the water and descend is best out of the water. I don’t use a dive computer out of the water other than Bluetooth profile to my phone which automatically grabs GPS of a dive site. Thus for me, the choice was pretty straightforward. So it is for you. Thank God for the diversity! It would not be near as exciting to dive with the buddies that have all the same gear...

it was a good video for sure, was just giving my opinion :-D
What is your objection to Shearwaters AI? Many of us are using it in some serious CCR and cave diving scenarios with no issue. Obviously only on backgas with 2 transmitters as a limiting factor, but it's been a game changer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom