Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With the Teric out, is there really any reason to go Garmin? Shearwater is such an establish and trusted name in dive computers I don't see why anyone would go with a Garmin for the same price.
For so many reasons....

I bought my Descent Mk1 before the Teric was even announced. When it was finally announced I looked at the specs and I was like "Meh". There were so many features of the Mk1 I was usually regularly that the Teric didn't have and it didn't offer me anything that I didn't already have with my Perdix AI. The only feature I wanted that the Teric had but the Mk1 didn't have was AI. For me, replacing the Mk1 with the Teric would be a major backward step (plus it was more expensive). If something happened to my Perdix AI, I'd buy another Perdix AI. The Teric doesn't interest me at all.

The Mk1 (and the Mk2 will be the same) is a full function GPS based sports watch. In fact, it is based on the very popular Fenix 5X which sold for around 2/3 of the prce of the Mk1. So in reality, if you were going to buy a Fenix 5X, you'd get a fully functional dive computer for only 50% more.

I use mine regularly for running. It has a built in heart rate monitor so I don't need to wear a chest strap. It tracks my pace, distance and even calories burned. I also use if for walking. I have used it for cycling and it gives me speed and cadence information from the bike. It can be used for swimming, too.

I have used it for bushwalking and then used the tracklog to geotag my photographs.

It is a all day/every day watch. It tracks my steps, flights of stairs, heart rate, sleep and stress.

It is a smart watch. I get all the notifications from my phone on the watch. My phone is permanently on mute. I never have to rely on sounds on my phone for notifications as my watch vibrates and I can read the notification on my watch. This also means I'm not disturbing people with my phone (and don't have to do anything while at the movies or the quiet carriage on the train. In fact, I now loathe all the noise other peoples phones make. LOL.

My phone can stay in my pocket and I will still know what notifications I'm getting, or if someone is calling me - and I can even see who is calling. In fact, my phone can be anywhere in the house, as long as it is in Bluetooth range, as I will get notifications.

That's just the non-diving features. For diving, it adds recording the entry and exit points for a dive using the built in GPS. This was something I was already doing somewhat manually or carrying a separate GPS device. I then geotag my photographs with the entry point for the dive plus the depth information from a dive computer. Now the entry and exit points are recorded automatically for me.

It can also measure heart rate during the dive - assuming your exposure suit allows the watch to be worn directly on a bare wrist. I'be done this a few times. It was interesting but not something I'd find useful enough to compromise my wetsuit or drysuit. Note that there is a chest HRM that can be used if someone wanted to do that.

Now, I'm not saying it is perfect. There are a few features that could be improved if Garmin could be arsed. But for me, and a lot of people, this is a better device that the Teric.

My fear with the Mk2 is that it's going to be in the MARQ range which will make it significantly more expensive.

So I'm guessing the Mk2 didn't get released at CES. Garmin you've let me down once again. I can't keep smacking dolphins to vent my anger, the turtles are starting to stare. I'm starting to think Shearwater wants my money instead of you.

So I'm guessing the Mk2 didn't get released at CES. Garmin you've let me down once again. I can't keep smacking dolphins to vent my anger, the turtles are starting to stare. I'm starting to think Shearwater wants my money instead of you.

I'm in the same boat, but the problem is nothing else on the market meets my need. I have a working dive computer that I'd like to replace, but don't need to replace. I have a smartwatch on which the battery life is starting to drop off. I desperately want to replace both devices with a single one, but no company except Garmin makes one (yes, I know, the Shearwaters are beautiful, but they aren't much good on a backpacking trip). And I won't buy a Mk1 since I'm so convinced they have to put out an AI Mk2 soon. So I guess it's just smacking dolphins for me.

since more than one dolphin is a pod, what are 3 divers smacking dolphins called? misguided Mk2 dreamers?

well the issue is I like Dolphins too, any other critter we collectively dislike that we can take out our frustrations with Garmin on? The crux is the Descent with AI (of based on the fenix 6) would be pretty much the perfect watch for me and I would pre order if they commit.

Hey, you guys don't even have a Garmin device yet and are frustrated by Garmin. It is even far more frustrating when you have a Garmin device and they couldn't be arsed to fix issues, or take months to acknowledge and even longer to fix.

Hey, you guys don't even have a Garmin device yet and are frustrated by Garmin. It is even far more frustrating when you have a Garmin device and they couldn't be arsed to fix issues, or take months to acknowledge and even longer to fix.

Ahh but I have several, just not the Descent, but they are my staple for sports, 2 running watches and a bike computer.

Ahh but I have several, just not the Descent, but they are my staple for sports, 2 running watches and a bike computer.
Then you know exactly what I mean. I've had a love/hate relationship with Garmin since my Forerunner 310XT from 2010.

indeed, but I would still pre-order the Mk2 if it had AI

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom