Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I realize the product isn't even out there but IF it were very similar to the Mk1 but with AI, how would people compare that to the Teric?

As a friend of mine that has both says one is the premier dive computer the other is a super watch so when only diving he use the Teric but when traveling and on a daily basis he uses the Descent, and as soon as there is AI on the Descent he thinks he is selling the Teric.

I was going to buy the Teric, but realized for my lifestyle the Descent with AI is a much better choice, but its a lifestyle issue they both are very capable devices with a very different market focus.

As a friend of mine that has both says one is the premier dive computer the other is a super watch so when only diving he use the Teric but when traveling and on a daily basis he uses the Descent, and as soon as there is AI on the Descent he thinks he is selling the Teric.

I was going to buy the Teric, but realized for my lifestyle the Descent with AI is a much better choice, but its a lifestyle issue they both are very capable devices with a very different market focus.
It would be pretty cool if they basically started with something like the Tactix Charlie watch and added dive firmware and AI. If it were in the same ballpark coastwise as the Shearwaters, I would buy that in a heartbeat.

As an added incentive, the likelihood of getting a Garmin on a holiday sale or with a military or first responder discount is a consideration for me. I hear Shearwater never discount their gear.

I'm not poor but I'm not rich either. If I could get two Garmins at a discount for only a couple hundred more than a Teric, that would be a big deal to me as I would have full redundancy.

It would be pretty cool if they basically started with something like the Tactix Charlie watch and added dive firmware and AI.
The Garmin Descent Mk1 is based on the Garmin Fenix 5X - or more accurately, it IS the Fenix 5X with dive capabilities added.

It is likely the Mk2 will be basically a Fenix 6X.

If I could get two Garmins at a discount for only a couple hundred more than a Teric, that would be a big deal to me as I would have full redundancy.
There would be no value at all in having two Garmin devices. The value of the Garmin is the fitness/sports/everyday features. You can only practically where one watch for everyday use and fitness activities.

If you wanted redundancy, you'd be better off with a Garmin and a Shearwater. Even the Perdix would be perfect for that. You could set the gas factors the same.

Reactions: Jay
The Garmin Descent Mk1 is based on the Garmin Fenix 5X - or more accurately, it IS the Fenix 5X with dive capabilities added.

It is likely the Mk2 will be basically a Fenix 6X.

There would be no value at all in having two Garmin devices. The value of the Garmin is the fitness/sports/everyday features. You can only practically where one watch for everyday use and fitness activities.

If you wanted redundancy, you'd be better off with a Garmin and a Shearwater. Even the Perdix would be perfect for that. You could set the gas factors the same.
You make a good point on the redundant Garmin. Since it has all the non dive features it would be overkill and priced as such.

Thinking of it that way, if it were my primary dive watch, I would most likely just get a more basic AI backup with a similar algorithm used only for failover scenarios.

Thinking of it that way, if it were my primary dive watch, I would most likely just get a more basic AI backup with a similar algorithm used only for failover scenarios.
I don’t think there are any “inexpensive” dive computers with Bühlmann and gradient factors. I’m sure you could pick up a secondhand Perdix AI for a bargain. Lots of people are selling theirs for a Teric.

I don’t think there are any “inexpensive” dive computers with Bühlmann and gradient factors. I’m sure you could pick up a secondhand Perdix AI for a bargain. Lots of people are selling theirs for a Teric.
Crest CR-4/Deep 6 Excursion/Genesis Centauri with presets, Atmos Mission One with presets and custom GF. Inexpensive is relative.

Do they have AI? The user wanted AI.
Yeah, I would want full redundancy. Watch+transmitter on the backup. Otherwise I would have a primary AI watch and a console computer as a backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom