Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's too bad. I have owned several Unisuits and a Viking dry suit and now they are gone and I will never dive a dry suit, a hotwater suit or a wetsuit over 4 mm again.

Why is it too bad? For the kind of dives I do, and for my resistance to cold, I really do not see an alternative...

Grrr... Garmin online doesn't ship overseas, and won't ship to a package forwarding service (Aramex/QPost/FedEx Global, etc...), and it's not on their Amazon page yet.

And also, I don't know if they'll package it as a present with "Congratulations, you won!" so they wife won't kill me.

But it can ONLY display HR in real time if worn on the wrist. Might be fine in warm water but in cold water most people have their wrists covered with an exposure suit.
That is the way it is supposed to be but I have HR readings in 55 degree waters. Not sure how accurate it is but readings are there.
You liked that stuff :D:D:D
I found it entertaining! The video to me is still such a waste of time space...

This thread seems to have a rough crowd...:popcorn:

There is a post from @boulderjohn somewhere here on SB, if I remeber well. I recall that there is no scientific data to understand how things change with altitude, so divers usually are very conservative. I don't have a lot of experience, so if you are more interested in the subject you can search that topic or ask John. And maybe you can correct me if I am wrong :)

My point here is just that, with such a lack of data, I would be really surprised if a company starts using this algorithm in this unknown piece of land, given the legal risk.

But I am ready to change my mind and to feel surprised

They do know that dcs can happen at above 18000msl or lower if you did scuba and loaded your system, and also that it gets more frequent with time exposure and the speed of the exposure to altitude.

So is a 6000msl dive is an area of concern, I don't know and i dont plan on stressing about it. But like many i like a bit of added conservatism here since I dive at altitudes often.

Like all computers in regards to legal matters it is only added padding. If it made the safety margin smaller it could be of legal concern.

They do know that dcs can happen at above 18000msl or lower if you did scuba and loaded your system, and also that it gets more frequent with time exposure and the speed of the exposure to altitude.

So is a 6000msl dive is an area of concern, I don't know and i dont plan on stressing about it. But like many i like a bit of added conservatism here since I dive at altitudes often.

What do you mean with msl? is that "meters above sea level" or is it "feet above mean sea level", or something else? Sorry, with people speaking from different continents I sometimes get confused...

What do you mean with msl? is that "meters above sea level" or is it "feet above mean sea level", or something else? Sorry, with people speaking from different continents I sometimes get confused...
Sorry while metric makes way more sense....i was referring to someones joke of a measurement, the foot.

The middle bundle includes two bands; the “regular“ black silicon as well as the DLC titanium ($200+ option).

The bottom bundle only includes the silicon band and extension.

I'm guessing this is an error on the Australian site
Garmin Descent™ Mk2i | Dive Watch

There's the base version of Mk2i, then a bundle version which includes the transmitter, air spool and spare brand, and then a third version which also includes the transmitter and air spool?

View attachment 619588

There is a post from @boulderjohn somewhere here on SB, if I remeber well. I recall that there is no scientific data to understand how things change with altitude, so divers usually are very conservative.
I am confused about what is being said in this last section of the thread.

What I have said in the past is that diving at very high altitude (above 3,000 meters/10,000 feet) has not been well studied, and algorithms that have been reasonably well tested at lower altitudes have received little or no attention at those higher altitudes. Buhlmann did do some high altitude research with his algorithm, but I am not aware of any research done with any other algorithms. (We all might be surprised at how little research there is behind some algorithms at any altitude.)

A diver who consults on high altitude decompression with NASA told me that when you get at that very high altitude range, factors that can be ignored at lower altitudes start becoming important. The U.S. Navy manual specifically mentions acclimatization as being important, and what little I have seen personally makes me believe it. Drive from sea level to 5,000 feet, and you will probably be sufficiently acclimated by the time your dive gear is ready. Drive from 5,000 feet to 10,000 feet and I strongly suggest you take a good amount of time for your body to adjust. What is a good amount of time? Beats me. I am sure somebody has studied it somewhere, but I don't know about it. In the past few months, I have spent time (not diving) at altitudes between 8,000-9,000 feet. In each trip, I had to do something moderately strenuous the first day, hours after arrival by car after a drive from 5,400 feet. In each case, I was absolutely whipped during that exercise. By the next day, I wouldn't have noticed.

The buhlmann (and actually all the diving algorithms) works well under certain conditions, and it was tested under these conditions (p>1bar). But has it ever been tested for pressures lower than 1bar? I can't recall anything about it, but I am ignorant about this topic, so I am surely missing something...

Yes. That was one of the points: diving in Swiss mountain lakes.

In principle if you have a functioning barometer, there's no reason why not calculate your gas loading continuously from atmospheric pressure when dry. What I don't think's been tested much is whether doing so will make much difference to your diving.

If you work at Mt. Kea observatory and dive Cpt. Cook's bay for lunch, you shouldn't need Garmin to tell you YOUR GONE DIE!!!

I have two shearwater transmitters. Grey/yellow. For me if the Garmin is not compatible with my transmitters I will never buy one.

If it is compatible I will eventually purchase the AI Mk2.

I dont see the upside of non compatibility for Garmin to not be. If you buy a garmin you will buy the garmin transmitter. If you already own other transmitters this could be a reason for you to not purchase the brand.....

I really like the idea of the GPS. in the monterey area some operations use gps to find specific dive sites such as ballbuster 100. Others may not know of specific gps locations...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom