Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can see the thread got pretty long, so if i may i ask, is the mk2i the best computer out now? How does it compare to a teric? (Minus the multisport/gps factor) . Is the screen brighter? Screen format? Alerts etc?

Recreational, and soon tech dives. I meant the garmin mk2 has multisport modes and gps right? But if you subtract those and just go dive computer vs dive computer.... would you get the mk2 or teric?

Recreational, and soon tech dives. I meant the garmin mk2 has multisport modes and gps right? But if you subtract those and just go dive computer vs dive computer.... would you get the mk2 or teric?

I had a Teric and a Perdix AI at the same time. I dived them both for a little while - including for technical/trimix dives. I sold the Perdix AI and bought a second Teric.

Now that the Mk2 is out... I would still buy a Teric.

As this is quite subjective, purely as a dive computer I would pick Teric.

But since the mk2i offers so much more my purchase of a mk2i wouldn't be for just a dive computer.

I had a Teric and a Perdix AI at the same time. I dived them both for a little while - including for technical/trimix dives. I sold the Perdix AI and bought a second Teric.

Now that the Mk2 is out... I would still buy a Teric.
Hahahahahaha

I had mine out for the first time this weekend. For reference, I have a Petrel 2 and an Eon Core. It is only one dive, but so far I am impressed.

The Good:

The Display: I was worried that I would have a difficult time seeing the display (I use reading lenses in my mask), but it is very readable and more importantly digestible. A downside of the Eon Core is readability in sunlight - the Descent MK2 was very readable in the sun light.

The interface while diving (recreational): The double tap to change screen surprised me as being awesome - I hope that time and exposure does not diminish the sensitivity of that feature. Way better than pushing a button.

The Bad:

Multitude of options (Menu structure): OMG - there are so many features and settings and buttons. Conversely, the Eon Core is very easy and intuitive to navigate. The Descent MK2 is a labyrinth in comparison. I am an avid recreational diver and it looks like once I get it set to where I want, it should just work, but boy oh boy is there a lot to go through. Plus, all of the other non-dive stuff - the list of attachments alone is mind boggling - pressure pods, heart rate monitors, something that attaches to your shoes and more - wtf?

What is needed:

bungie cord attachment - I dive dry, so needed to put the long band on (neat system to change bands) - boy is that strap long. I will not be simply slapping the watch on to my wrist post dive.

I had mine out for the first time this weekend. For reference, I have a Petrel 2 and an Eon Core. It is only one dive, but so far I am impressed.

The Good:

The Display: I was worried that I would have a difficult time seeing the display (I use reading lenses in my mask), but it is very readable and more importantly digestible. A downside of the Eon Core is readability in sunlight - the Descent MK2 was very readable in the sun light.

The interface while diving (recreational): The double tap to change screen surprised me as being awesome - I hope that time and exposure does not diminish the sensitivity of that feature. Way better than pushing a button.

The Bad:

Multitude of options (Menu structure): OMG - there are so many features and settings and buttons. Conversely, the Eon Core is very easy and intuitive to navigate. The Descent MK2 is a labyrinth in comparison. I am an avid recreational diver and it looks like once I get it set to where I want, it should just work, but boy oh boy is there a lot to go through. Plus, all of the other non-dive stuff - the list of attachments alone is mind boggling - pressure pods, heart rate monitors, something that attaches to your shoes and more - wtf?

What is needed:

bungie cord attachment - I dive dry, so needed to put the long band on (neat system to change bands) - boy is that strap long. I will not be simply slapping the watch on to my wrist post dive.

Maybe you'd like to try a computer that shows you everything you need on one screen, so you don't need to change it during the dive? :wink: With my Terics, I don't find a need to push buttons during a dive, except for tech dives, when I'm doing a gas switch, or if I'm setting a Mark on the compass that floats around the rim. :D

I dive dry, too. I got 2 NATO straps for each of my Terics. One long and one short. It only takes about 5 seconds to change from one strap to the other. And, if a strap pin were to break or fall out, the NATO strap would ensure that the computer doesn't fall off my wrist. I have a neoprene pouch for each Teric, with the extra strap in the case (they're nylon, so not bulky at all), so it's super easy to - for example - dive dry with the long strap, get out of the water, take 5 seconds to swap straps, and be able to wear the Teric on my arm (if I wanted to) with a not-too-long strap.

The double tap to change screen surprised me as being awesome - I hope that time and exposure does not diminish the sensitivity of that feature. Way better than pushing a button.
It will be interesting to see how this compares to the Mk1 which also has the double-tap feature. On my Mk1 I turned this off after only one dive because it kept changing screens when I didn't double-tap.

Back
Top Bottom