Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For my cycling, I have a complete cycling computer.
But here's the thing, it isn't a complete cycling computer. I wouldn't even say it is a great cycling computer. It is adequate.

The Descent makes a great watch for running, walking, hiking and a lot of other land based activities. It is not ideal for cycling but this is less about the Descent and more about the fact that it is a watch.

The ideal cycling computer is one with a large display that mounts on your handlebars and you can easily see speed and cadence. It will also give your heart rate and other metrics you may want to see while you are cycling.

While the Descent can be hooked up to a speed/cadence sensor and does your heart rate, it is expected you wear it on your wrist (so it can read your heart rate, O2, etc). It is pretty difficult to monitor your speed/cadence and anything else while cycling if it is on your wrist. The solution is to mount it on your handlebars, but then you lose heart rate and O2. You then have to buy a separate HR monitor. Mounted on the handlebars you will really notice how small the display is, especially if you have old eyes.

So, yes, you can use it as a cycling computer, but it is not complete (you would need to buy a HRM and a handlebar mount - plus speed/cadence sensor if you don't already have one).

@guyharrisonphotoDiving is hard on gear, I wouldn’t want to take my every day smart watch diving, but that is just me within a year I have noticeable rash on any of my dive equipment including my dive computers.
I've had my Descent Mk1 for over 2 years (over 200 dives) and it looks almost as good as new. The band is looking a bit tired but that is easily replaced.

Now, it could be that I usually mount it on my camera rig so it doesn't get banged around but it still looks great.

With the Teric you do not lose the ability to capture GPS coordinates for entry/exit points. You just lose the ability to capture them with your dive computer. I used the Subsurface-mobile app to capture that info, which integrates it right into my dive log that I download from my dive computer.
That works fine if all your diving is done from boats but does not work at all for shore dives (unless you are taking your phone on the dive with you).

Most of the liveaboard trips I have done you get taken to the dive site in a tender. The tender is often a small inflatable only just big enough for the divers and the guy driving the boat. Also not a great environment for a mobile phone.

The recording of my entry and exit points is one of the best things I like about my Mk1. The entry point is very accurate. The exit point not so much because Garmin don't follow their own recommendations for GPS accuracy.

Now, it could be that I usually mount it on my camera rig so it doesn't get banged around but it still looks great.

You obviously don't cave dive. Even my camera rig is getting scratches.

The recording of my entry and exit points is one of the best things I like about my Mk1. The entry point is very accurate. The exit point not so much because Garmin don't follow their own recommendations for GPS accuracy.

I am at dive 13 with the Mk2i. I am using it to track shore dives. From one entry point, we have half a dozen or so drops. I dive nights and mornings, so surface lineups are not always visible. For me, this was the singly most important feature of the watch.

One thing I am noticing is that recording of entry and exit points does not appear to be as simple as stated in the manual - in essence, it just happens. Looking at connect, I do not see any separation in the locations and usually, only the exit is recorded. In conjunction with that, 3" of water will block the signal. Most of my swim out, my hands are in the water. Is there something that you do to nab the entry?

BTW - like Stuart's comments on the Teric, I have been pleasantly surprised at how readable the face is.

That works fine if all your diving is done from boats but does not work at all for shore dives (unless you are taking your phone on the dive with you).

Most of the liveaboard trips I have done you get taken to the dive site in a tender. The tender is often a small inflatable only just big enough for the divers and the guy driving the boat. Also not a great environment for a mobile phone.

I normally start the Subsurface location service when I get on the boat, put my phone in a drybag, and leave it there until I'm back.

Most of my swim out, my hands are in the water. Is there something that you do to nab the entry?
I go into dive mode before I jump into the water. If you are not in dive mode before you descend, it will not record the entry location.

You also need to have the Descent out of the water (before you descend) long enough that you get the green ring to indicate it has a lock on the satellites. The longer you have the green ring, the more satellites that will be locked on and the more accurate the location will be.

I just hold my Descent up so it is out of the water while I'm waiting to descend.

I go into dive mode before I jump into the water. If you are not in dive mode before you descend, it will not record the entry location.

You also need to have the Descent out of the water (before you descend) long enough that you get the green ring to indicate it has a lock on the satellites. The longer you have the green ring, the more satellites that will be locked on and the more accurate the location will be.

I just hold my Descent up so it is out of the water while I'm waiting to descend.

It's funny/ironic that you have to put it in Dive mode (where GPS doesn't work) to have it catch a GPS fix for the start of your dive. LOL! :)

Is the battery replaceable? I know it is not designed to be replaced by user, but any indication that it can be done by user with a little tinkering? I find it a bit of a waste to trash it after 5-6 years of use. I could not get my self to buy this, even the "want" is there..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom