Garmin In-reach mini as PLB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like you have to remove it from the housing to use it? The latches on the canister cover the buttons.

I have the larger GPS version. I don't consider the in-reach nearly as suitable for water rescues as an EPIRB or PLB. I can barely even message with mine unless I synch it with bluetooth to my phone. I guess it better than nothing. At least the canister is small.

I also have the larger/older version. I can't imagine actually trying to type a text with the on-screen keyboard. Even the preset messages are pretty cumbersome. Though I suppose if I'm bobbing around in the ocean waiting for rescue, all I've got is time. I've never actually used mine for messaging beyond the presets though, just pinning my location to a map, and using presets to keep family in the loop if I'm beyond service on a motorcycle trip, or international without cell service.

I was going to ask why you think EPIRBs and PLBs are more suitable, did some reading, and have to admit EPIRBs are much more robust than I gave them credit for. Not sure where I "learned" what I thought I knew about them, but it was certainly wrong. I'm still sort of curious what would make you say they're better suited than an InReach? I'm not trying to start a debate at all, I don't know enough to do so. Just curious what stands out, to you, that makes EPIRBs/PLBs a better fit?

I also have the larger/older version. I can't imagine actually trying to type a text with the on-screen keyboard. Even the preset messages are pretty cumbersome. Though I suppose if I'm bobbing around in the ocean waiting for rescue, all I've got is time. I've never actually used mine for messaging beyond the presets though, just pinning my location to a map, and using presets to keep family in the loop if I'm beyond service on a motorcycle trip, or international without cell service.

I was going to ask why you think EPIRBs and PLBs are more suitable, did some reading, and have to admit EPIRBs are much more robust than I gave them credit for. Not sure where I "learned" what I thought I knew about them, but it was certainly wrong. I'm still sort of curious what would make you say they're better suited than an InReach? I'm not trying to start a debate at all, I don't know enough to do so. Just curious what stands out, to you, that makes EPIRBs/PLBs a better fit?

I can type out with the character toggles but the Bluetooth connection to my phone is really the best way to text. I get the unlimited plan during my summer camping/travel season and revert to the emergency plan for the rest of the year.

Limitations of the In reach
The In reach has no homing signal for the coast guard to locate you directly. If you are in a swift current and dense fog (or at night and unlighted) they are going to have a harder time finding you (IR can potentially make up for this but its not a homing signal has limited range and is blocked by waves to an even greater degree). Its not waterproof, it doesn't float, it relies on the Imstar (essentially a cell phone) network. Not diving related but the cell signal can be blocked by trees or terrain.

There is a reason that commercial vessels are all required to use EPIRBs and that every nation with a Navy has connections to that SARstat network. They don't use In reach devices because they are not really designed to a SAR standard even if they have some SOS functionality.

So, I took a few more pics of mine in the case. Turns out there is a built-in tether like I thought. The unit has to be placed perfectly in the case with the tether, though as there is absolutely no extra room in there (literally fits like a glove!). Get it wrong and it won't go in all the way and you can't close the lid.

inreach1.jpg

inreach2.jpg

inreach3.jpg

inreach4.jpg

inreach5.jpg

Just received my InReach Mini and retiring my Fastfind 220 PLB. For me the ability to have two way communication is just too compelling. I've carried the PLB for 9 years, but I've always wondered what it would be like to activate in an emergency and have no real idea whether it's working, or no idea when a rescue will occur, and no way to assist in your own rescue. Plus a 50 hour battery life in SOS mode, user rechargeable, much smaller and lighter, and many other useful functions outside of the Scuba arena. Don't love the fees and the cost but they are not unreasonable for life saving gear.

So I purchased a Montana 700i and a 66i... trying to compare them. Obviously these aren't small as the mini but I can see if I can waterproof them. Taking them w me.

There is a buoyant version as well.

Thing is I want something small to take on dives w me with a small case.

Looked at PLBs and I'm shocked nobody has made it a case like the inreach. Those canisters look so bulky. Also you have no idea if plb message went through. Hoping for the best... with inreach they'll tell you and let u know help is on the way.

Sucks I will need subscription or 66i and mini separate but that's my decision I suppose.

have no real idea whether it's working

Also you have no idea if plb message went through
Yes, that is true of the older PLB units. The new units coming out -- like the FastFind ReturnLink -- have a way to receive an indication that your call was received and is being processed.

The fees for the inReach are off by a factor of 12 IMO. Annual fees of $24.95 would work, but not monthly. Every company is contributing to death by subscription and I am not participating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom