Garmin inReach Mini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flymolo

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got an email from EE about a new garmin product called the inReach mini. Seems like it might be a reasonable solution for a lost-at-sea device, as well as for hiking, backcountry skiing, etc.

Garmin also make a case that lets you take it down to 100m and appears to be much smaller than the repurposed canisters people often use to house their PLBs.

Garmin inReach® Mini | Hiking GPS | Satellite Communicator

anyone use one of these before?

Check out the many threads about PLBs where you'll find a lot of comparison information.

IMHO, whether you choose a really long safety sausage, or a mirror, or a VHF radio, or a Nautilus LifeLine, or a PLB, or an InReach Mini or non-mini, etc, depends on your own risk tolerance, on where you are diving, and on the kind of diving you are doing (liveaboard, shore, etc).
One size does not fit all.
You can always check with @Dan, who I think carries one of everything!

The non-diving community (e.g., hiking) seems to be very happy with the InReach Mini, but they seem to really like the two-way communication it offers (rather easy without worrying about being waterproof) and don't seem to mind the monthly or annual subscription fee. It is used and appreciated more like a satellite phone than a rescue tool...although it certainly can serve as the latter.
The typical diver with a PLB seems to want something for the extreme situation....all alone out at sea with nothin visible on the horizon, and they don't want to fuss with it in-between those unlikely events. No subscription fee, no charging, just hope to not use it during its 5-7 yr battery life and then get a new one. It is treated like an insurance policy; you don't want to have to use it or even think about it unless you need it.

Reactions: Dan
Thanks @tursiops. I found another thread discussing the inReach.

Mods, feel free to delete this post; I thought this was a new product on the market.

It's not really a "new" product. It's been out for a while. I've heard good things, and plan on getting one for a future trip to a remote destination. A friend has one and uses it when he goes to Mexico. That way if he's out away from cell signal he can use it in an emergency. From what I remember you can send emergency texts from it and you can link your cell phone so you can use your phone when you're out of cell service.

It's not really a "new" product. It's been out for a while. I've heard good things, and plan on getting one for a future trip to a remote destination. A friend has one and uses it when he goes to Mexico. That way if he's out away from cell signal he can use it in an emergency. From what I remember you can send emergency texts from it and you can link your cell phone so you can use your phone when you're out of cell service.

I definitely like it for those purposes. But I’m mostly wondering if it will be useful in the extreme circumstance I find myself floating a few hours offshore with no boat or land in sight.

I definitely like it for those purposes. But I’m mostly wondering if it will be useful in the extreme circumstance I find myself floating a few hours offshore with no boat or land in sight.

Based on discussions with people that have them, I don't see why not. I plan to buy one for an upcoming trip.

It isn't clear to me if, like a PLB, the Garmin inReach mini can communicate an emergency signal without the user having a subscription to a satellite service. The features are nice, but most (or all?) require a subscription, which is a no-go for me. I have a PLB.

The InReach mini requires a subscription. I have one for terrestrial use, as I'm frequently out of cell reception areas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom