Garmin titanium vs steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
For anyone who has used the Garmin Descent, could you provide any information of the durability / resistance to scratching of the DLC coated titanium vs the stainless steel?

Thanks

I've had my current Mk1 (base model) since December 2018 and done over 300 dives. I also were it every day. I have some minor scratches on the bezel but nothing major.

I should add that the Mk1 is mounted on my camera rig while diving so it is very unlikely to come in contact with any hard surfaces.

Yeah I agree with Atj, I wear mine everyday it is the Titanium but I wish I would have got the Titanium band from the get go. My standard band has torn through several adjustments. I'm getting ready to order the Titanium band.

My silicone band is still going strong after 3* years! The loops are on their way out but still holding.

* This is the band from my original Mk1 that I got in March 2018. Garmin replaced the watch only in December 2018 but I kept all the accessories, including the band. I have two chargers, etc. I moved the original band to the new watch and now have a spare (if I remember where I put it).

I have had the base MK1 and now the MK2i. I wore the MK1 daily and sports wise I used it for scuba, snowboard and atv. By the time I gave it to my son it had a few scratches on the bezel and i had a protector on the glass. The MK2i I have worn every day and in addition to the other sports I have been rock climbing almost every day the last month which is really hard on my watches. I have also brushed it against walls (where i had to remove wall paint from the watch bezel) and metal objects, yet i still do not have a single scratch on the watch.

Pretty sure my Mk2i hasn't has quite the beating as @waterone has given his, but I do wear it every day, and although I try to be careful with it, it often gets a knock or a bang against some pretty solid walls and such.
Every time I look at it expecting to see the first gouge across the bezel or glass, but still hasn't happened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom