Gas density guidelines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because I was bored I threw together a little XLS file to do some gas calcs , you can find it here:

Looks like this, fairly self explanatory:

Edit: Added END and PPO2 because why not. O2 considered narcotic.
Also, uploaded file instead of dropbox

Greetings RainPilot, do you mind if I use your spreadsheet in our InDepth blog to accompany a summary on gas density?

Greetings RainPilot, do you mind if I use your spreadsheet in our InDepth blog to accompany a summary on gas density?
Not at all, attribution to Brendon Allen and ScubaBoard please.

Hello

The Rebreathers in Scientific Diving Oroceedings (papers from a joint AAUS / NOAA / DAN / US National Parks Service conference held at Catalina Is in Feb 2015) have just been released today.

https://www.omao.noaa.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Rebreathers and Scientific Diving Proceedings 2016.pdf

In it (page 66) is a paper on respiratory physiology and diving which contains the first evidence-based guidelines on gas planning to ensure gas density falls within a safe zone. The paper describes the data which justify the limits, and provides a guide to calculating gas density.

The proceedings contain a variety of other papers including one on decompression which discusses the deep stops controversy being debated on a thread in the technical diving forum. Please don't discuss deep stops here.

I am happy to answer any questions related to the respiratory physiology and gas density paper.

Simon Mitchell
Hello Dr Mitchel. I just happened to read your book and I see that you mention using this dataset(a quote from the book):
"
Among other things, QinetiQ is a UBA testing house located near Portsmouth in the UK. Over some 20
years hundreds of manned test dives have been undertaken utilising ethics committee approved protocols
which incorporate graded levels of underwater work for evaluating performance of a range open-circuit,
semi-closed, and closed-circuit UBA.
"
Is it possible to see this data for myself? I'm curious what could I get out of it with my programming skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom