Gas planning and the associated math - controversies over need and how to teach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't you know that the higher you go in math the worse your basic algebra becomes? Calculus, easy. Damn, making change requires some thought :wink:

True, true. I have a degree in Maths. I always say I can find the volume in four space between a hyperbolic parabaloid and a conic section but can't balance my checkbook.:D

True, true. I have a degree in Maths. I always say I can find the volume in four-space between a hyperbolic parabaloid and a conic section but can't balance my checkbook.
Wasn't it Descartes who said, "I don't know Maths from a hole in the ground?"

-Bryan

PS. Most beautiful sentence in mathematics is "e to the pi i minus one equals zero."

Around here it is. Try running out of gas 20 miles from anywhere, on a cold winter night when it is minus 50F outside (without windchill) - and by the way, AAA doesn't go there, and you have no cell phone reception anyway. Of course, being cold, dark and a crappy road, the next car to come by might not be until morning.

Same argument plays out in the middle of a hot desert too.
True, I was just using it to make a point. You'll notice I shied away from certain situations where the argument doesn't hold. I did not mean it is a universal truth but merely a contrasting view serving to support my argument in a common everyday Southern California diver kinda way :D
Technically, I did say all day and not all night, but you're right. Point taken. :mooner:

Around here it is. Try running out of gas 20 miles from anywhere, on a cold winter night when it is minus 50F outside (without windchill) - and by the way, AAA doesn't go there, and you have no cell phone reception anyway. Of course, being cold, dark and a crappy road, the next car to come by might not be until morning.

Same argument plays out in the middle of a hot desert too.
Or on our back roads here on the Big Island.

True, I was just using it to make a point. You'll notice I shied away from certain situations where the argument doesn't hold. I did not mean it is a universal truth but merely a contrasting view serving to support my argument in a common everyday Southern California diver kinda way
Ok, so we'll modify the scenario for SoCal driving. It would be wise to plan out how many bullets you're going to need when you get on the 405 at rush hour. On Fridays and Mondays, you need more than the rest of the week because the road rage factor increases by 40%. Yeah, maybe you can stop at the gunshop on the way to work and pick up some ammo, but that's not going to help you if the fire fight goes down before you get there. Besides, you don't want to store TOO much in your car, because it's just going to get ripped off when the gangsta punk ass hood busts into your car anyway.

Ok, so we'll modify the scenario for SoCal driving. It would be wise to plan out how many bullets you're going to need when you get on the 405 at rush hour. On Fridays and Mondays, you need more than the rest of the week because the road rage actor increases by 40%. Yeah, maybe you can stop at the gunshop on the way to work and pick up some ammo, but that's not going to help you if the fire fight goes down before you get there.
:rofl3:

Well I didn't have any problem teaching to my 11 yo step daughter who, frankly, is math challenged. Only one data point I admit, but I had no problem getting a girl that young, who could not tell time or make change, to understand and demonstrate that ability.
If I had an 11 year old who could not tell time or make change, I think I would be more inclined to teach her these basic skills before teaching her about more luxury skills, like SCUBA diving and its related gas planning.

Gas planning or management is very much gear configuration, dive buddy and dive site dependant.
If I’m driving the local dive park, with a brand spanking new diver, my SAC rate is irrelevant. We are not going very deep and he will be at 500 psi in 20 minutes one way or the other. However, if I’m diving some tropical location with a rental AL80 and my dive buddy is a seasoned diver, weights 100 lbs and straps on her personal HP120, well then my SAC rate will be the limiting factor.
Same goes for dive where exiting whenever I want is not an option. Cave, deep wrecks or some caverns will also dictate that I know not just my dive plan but I need a complete understanding of my buddy’s plan as well.
One way or the other, I do need to be able to calculate my SAC and at a minimum, know how long I can last on a specific amount of gas at a specific depth.

Ok, so we'll modify the scenario for SoCal driving. It would be wise to plan out how many bullets you're going to need when you get on the 405 at rush hour. On Fridays and Mondays, you need more than the rest of the week because the road rage factor increases by 40%. Yeah, maybe you can stop at the gunshop on the way to work and pick up some ammo, but that's not going to help you if the fire fight goes down before you get there. Besides, you don't want to store TOO much in your car, because it's just going to get ripped off when the gangsta punk ass hood busts into your car anyway.
:rofl3::rofl3::auto:
Wise@$$
:D

One way or the other, I do need to be able to calculate my SAC and at a minimum, know how long I can last on a specific amount of gas at a specific depth.
Well put. :coffee:

Back
Top Bottom