Gas Pressure Indication Redundancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A failed computer on a recreational dive means that you have to at most sit out the rest of the day. However given that the NDL @ 30' is 250 minutes, I'd be very happy to just make the last dive of the day a nice shallow reef, then start over the next day with a new computer or gauge.

A redundant pressure gauge gets you nothing except a warm fuzzy feeling that you're probably not out of air. You still have to end the dive, but can then start diving again the next day with either tables or another computer, and in any case, should be diving with a buddy who can help you if you do run out.

I've spent years removing useless junk from my rig. I'm not about to add an extra hose and a mechanical gauge just in case my computer fails, especially since it doesn't actually give me any benefit except for a little bit of "warm fuzzy feelings"

And that can work. If you are happy with it that is all that matters. Overkill is 100% effective. A 10 ton tactical nuke might not be the best tool for fire ant removal but it would take care of the problem. I carry a 45acp because they dont make 46's. I do stand corrected on 2 days. I mean the rest of this day and the next morning. If you are doinf AM boat dives... that sucks. I get so few vactations I have to make them count. The other thing I gain from 2 computers is I can double check the logs from them on depth, temp, time....

Later Mon,
Nick

Does the tank automatically leak out gas when a computer's wireless transmitter die?

When I dive with an HP80, I have about 40-minutes of bottom time at 60-ft. Does that air consumption rate somehow change because my computer or transmitter gives out?

---------- Post added ----------

I carry a 45acp because they dont make 46's.
Later Mon,
Nick

Actually "they" do. "They" even make a .50. May I suggest you visit the Smith & Wesson website to take a look at their .460 Magnum and .500 Magnum? Or the Guncrafter website to look at the .50 GI?

What you describe illustrates why many of the experienced/seasoned divers don't use that AI or remote sensor crap.

I lost some dives on a trip because of the quick disconnect on an AI Ares dive computer. Now I use as few connections as possible. No swivels, no quick disconnects no air integrated stuff, and absolutely no remote sensors.. it's all crap that can cost you a dive trip or dives just as you experienced first hand.

For all of those people who have a wireless transmitter, I hope you have an SPG installed too.

For all of those people who have air integrated computers hooked up to you HP port, I hope you have an SPG installed.

These are 2 examples of why dives get cut short when diving as a group. The 2nd one just happened tonight. Nothing like being in another country and have to cut your dive short because of someone else's equipment problem.

i cant say i'm a fan of wirless/electronic gizzmos underwater if i can get away without them.

i have a standard spg .

the thing is if the spg fails you normally loose gas-slowley but a loss nevertheless.

if a transmitter fails you dont loose gas.

True. However, you lose dives because no one is going diving without knowing how much gas is in the tank on a dive these days.

i cant say i'm a fan of wirless/electronic gizzmos underwater if i can get away without them.

i have a standard spg .

the thing is if the spg fails you normally loose gas-slowley but a loss nevertheless.

if a transmitter fails you dont loose gas.

True. However, you lose dives because no one is going diving without knowing how much gas is in the tank on a dive these days.

loosing a contents gauge doesnt mean you cant calculate the amount of gas remaining.

but i agree that the dive would end sooner than planned.

If your SPG fails, you surface. No need for redundancy.

Even in a cave.... If your SPG fails what do you do? You head for the surface. It doesn't change the amount of gas you have (provided it's not leaking). At the point of a failure all you need to know is, "I have gas for the moment, but that may change". Assume it will change by staying close to your buddy during your ascent/exit.

That's obvious. What do you do if your primary light dies while in a cave.... You turn right? We carry 2 or 3 cutting tools, 2 or 3 lights but only one way of monitoring our gas.

---------- Post added ----------

What a buch of alarmist, nandy pandy malarky. They way some are talking they probably should not be diving without a complete spare set of equipment with them at all times. There is a difference between prudence and paranoia.

Chill bud. It's called "banter". You know, conversation.

Most rec divers I've encountered aren't equipped to calculate gas consumption and plan a dive based on that so they are out of the water. Also if diving a team environment (yes even on a single) it's comforting to KNOW how much gas is in the tank when one needs to share his air. Without a gauge and you're donating air, no way to know. I have no idea what the odds are of it happening, however Murphy is alive and well...

All I'm saying is there is no need for redundant gas metering. Use good equipment and ditch all the not needed connects, swivels and battery operated remote transmitters.

From personal experience AND from what I was taught, having those extra gizmos, while not going to kill you, can be expensive (losing expensive dives) and pretty dang annoying.

Do what you want to do, I'm keeping my stuff simple. I'm simply sharing my experience and what I was taught.

loosing a contents gauge doesnt mean you cant calculate the amount of gas remaining.

but i agree that the dive would end sooner than planned.

Most rec divers I've encountered aren't equipped to calculate gas consumption and plan a dive based on that so they are out of the water. Also if diving a team environment (yes even on a single) it's comforting to KNOW how much gas is in the tank when one needs to share his air. Without a gauge and you're donating air, no way to know. I have no idea what the odds are of it happening, however Murphy is alive and well...

All I'm saying is there is no need for redundant gas metering. Use good equipment and ditch all the not needed connects, swivels and battery operated remote transmitters.

From personal experience AND from what I was taught, having those extra gizmos, while not going to kill you, can be expensive (losing expensive dives) and pretty dang annoying.

Do what you want to do, I'm keeping my stuff simple. I'm simply sharing my experience and what I was taught.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the "wireless transmitter" comment. I don't like the current size, positioning or placement of the current system. If they were to come out with something that didn't pose a risk of being banged or broken off I may entertain the idea. All I'm saying is that it's the only piece we dive with that doesn't have a back up. Not like it's not important.

Back
Top Bottom