Gauge Accuracy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbzep

Contributor
Reaction score
After reading about gauge accuracy on the 5000 psi SPG thread, it reminded me to ask a question. We have 4 Sherwood SPG's that read 400 psi lower than our Mako compressor. Since all four read the same, we've come to the conclusion that the Mako gauge is off by just under 400 psi and the tech that comes and certifies it doesn't bother checking the accuracy. However, I'm a bit paranoid to watch the Mako pump a tank up to an indicated 3400. Since all four SPG's are 2 years old or less and haven't been abused, would you be comfortable setting the Mako just under 3400 psi?

Why don't you get the tech that you paid to come back check?

Or does he only test air quality?

Why don't you get the tech that you paid to come back check?

Or does he only test air quality?
He checks air quality and changes filters, oil, etc. I've never been at the station when he checks it.

I'd just buy a new pressure gauge for the compressor they're like $20, make sure it's oil filled for the vibration.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080IGBCK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Aluminum tanks to 3400 aren't going to be a problem, they hydro to 5000 psi, 400 isn't going to bother them
As long as folks that have been around a lot of SCUBA hardware are confident that our four fairly new SPG's are accurate, I don't mind using the the Mako's gauge and filling to an indicated 3400. Our 2216 psi SCBA bottles which have built in gauges show nearly 2000 psi when we fill by the Mako's gauge, so it is consistent with what I'm seeing with the AL 80's. It works out to about a 12% error.

Back
Top Bottom