Gauges: Suunto vs Everyone else

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steelwindmachine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Brandy-new recreational diver here looking to figure out an optimal, reliable gauge setup for poking around warm waters.

I likely won't be diving more than 20 dives a year. I may dive a handful of times at Dutch Springs, otherwise everything else underwater will be in the tropics.

I've read many accounts of Suunto being the defacto standard in gauges. However, I'd like to really determine whether or not spending upwards of another $60-$100 for their goods is really necessary.

I was envisioning their Double In-Line SPG/Depth with back-compass unit and then wrist mounting the fiscally-favorable Subgear XP10 on my wrist.

OR something like the Cressi Mini 3 console or equiv (but have heard servicing the Cressi stuff is a PITA because it doesn't use a standard type spool or hose).

OR

a 1.5-2.5" SPG on the 1st stage alone with a combo of wrist and BC-retractor'd computer/analog depth/compass pucks.

OR air integrated computer, with or without analog back-ups?

Does anyone have any sort of "check list" or gauge selection advice to guide a newb in the right direction so they minimize buyer's remorse or short-change themselves?

or, tell me about how and why you selected what you use and how or if it is fulfilling your needs/wants/comfort level, etc?

ugh, if I could have one device that didn't fail, was small, but big enough to read underwater and didn't cost a fortune....

You might want to borrow/rent different gauges, including 'hoseless' [after you're cert'd] to get an idea of what you like/want in a gauge......

As a dive guide,at (20) dives a year,I would ever rent all my dive (gauge) equipment or depend your well equipped dive buddy or professional guide.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

The only Suunto guages I would say are better that average are Suunto's Compasses.
I find their computers to be too conservative. I prefer the offerings from Oceanic. Their computers allow you to set them to conservative mode if you should feel the need. I'm also a wireless air integrated user and prefer the preset transmitter code system that Oceanic uses compared to the Polling system of the Suunto.
As for standard gauge clusters without computers any of the well known name brands would serve the purpose.

Back
Top Bottom