Gauging Interest in Scuba Reality Show

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Jason,

It sounds interesting to me. I would like to watch it, at least once or twice. I would like to see some behind-the-scenes gossip about divers and dives coming from DMs. I would like to learn from it. I would watch some instructional footage if done well. I would like to see some useful comparison of different dives and different dive locations.

I say nothing about ratings since I know nothing about that. Although I would probably not watch it as much as I watch the Giants!

- Bill

I dont think a "reality show" would be interesting at all, and in fact I (and many others) would condemn it. Reality shows are horrible, and they are contributing to the destruction of the entertainment industry. They go a step beyond the "its so bad, its good" category, and land themselves straight in the "its so bad...no, really. It's BAD!" category.

HOWEVER... I think a show about a scuba dive op might be interesting. It doesnt have to be a reality show (ie no crappy interviews and fake drama). But just a plain old show with real characters, a good plot, etc. I think that might have some potential, and interest. Just keep the word "reality" far FAR from it, because in the entertainment world, that word means anything but.

I'd watch it.
You'll need lots of hot chicks dumber than a box of rocks and you'll need to get good camera angles if you know what I mean.
You'll need lots of conflicts and tension.
You'll also need a danger element such as somebody getting lost, near drowning (fake), or getting bent (also fake).
Combine these and you *might*, might, have a show.
Getting a few faux stars like Kim Kardashian to show up and try to get certified and scuba would get ratings too.

The only thing that gets the average American's attention these days is boobs, asses, and fights.
Anything beyond that becomes scientific level documentary and people that can appreciate and understand that are becoming fewer and fewer.

I'd watch it.
You'll need lots of hot chicks dumber than a box of rocks and you'll need to get good camera angles if you know what I mean.
You'll also need a danger element such as somebody getting lost, near drowning (fake), or getting bent (also fake).
Getting a few faux stars like Kim Kardashian to show up and try to get certified and scuba would get ratings too.

The only thing that gets the average American's attention these days is boobs, asses, and fights.
Anything beyond that becomes scientific level documentary and people that can appreciate and understand that are becoming fewer and fewer.
Well said. And sad.

Jason, let me fill you in on something that may not sit well with your concept of this show. Networks don't want "reality". They want drama! I know because I am currently involved with a show that has been sold to a large network. I'm not at liberty to state the network nor what we are doing, but it has nothing to do with reality of the diving. The diving is just blown out of proportion about how "dangerous" it is and the people being pissed off at each other for being on another divers turf. The problem I see with your idea is that it will be watched by the diving community and only the diving community which makes up a small percentile of the public. Your demographics just don't look good IMO. National Geographic has plenty of "diving" shows where you can see interesting diving. If you don't have something "New and Fresh" the networks want, your "investors" are going to just be throwing their money down the toilet. They will laugh you out of the building. Actually you won't even get inside. Trust me, I know. Reality stars don't get rich off the show. It doesn't pay much for the hassle of doing it. Only the megga stars on shows like Pawn Stars, Jersey Shore, and Swamp People are making anything for the shows. Now if you are not going to put it on TV and going to strictly be a web based show, you may get a few people to watch but you are gonna need some way of making money with it. Get sponsorship by gear makers or you wont be able to afford to go long. I don't want to sound like the party pooper, but it's a dog eat dog market that thrives on drama not "reality".
Yeah, but in his 1st post he said he was putting it on the INTERNET, so whatever the networks like doesn't matter. Go for it Jason! I'll watch, listen or read anything that involves diving, bodies of water or female bodies.

Yeahhhhh. Not so much, maybe.

And more than that, if I showed up at my favorite dive shop and a bunch of clowns with video cameras were there filming and shoving releases in my face, I'd find someone else to dive with, with a few choice words to the dive shop manager on the side. Then I blast it out to everyone I know what was going on. Who knows, you might find some narcissist diver who wants to be made a fool of on the internet..... :wink:
It would need to be filmed in Cave Country where there is already much soap opera worthy drama, more than the average number of narcissists and plenty of divers with inflated egos who bash each other on a regular basis. Plus it's cave diving - something the general public thinks is dangerous, even for properly trained cave divers.

That type of show might be interesting without having to resort to additional theatrics, imaginary threats and manufactured drama. The public would watch in genuine awe and wonder while cave divers would tune in for the laughs and opportunities for general ribbing.

You won't find a whole lot of sex appeal in cave country (we are talking about doing a hot cave diving chicks in their underwear calendar) but all of the shops in the area do unique personalities and a certain flair that would lend a certain pawn stars, or sons of guns kind of family element to the production.

Otherwise, while they might find some divers who'd play ball, I agree with you - I'd avoid the shop where the filming was occurring, at least while the camera's were rolling.

I'd watch it.

That has already been done. You have just described Baywatch.

I think it's a freaking great idea! In fact, I had the idea myself. Since I've been diving, I've met a whole slew of characters that could rival the best reality shows. Diving seems to attract a lot of people who are (how do you say it nicely) a little socially off. I went to Ginnie Spring this past weekend. While I was gearing-up with my girlfriend, I saw a group of approx. 10 divers head in before me. Once we got into the cavern, there's a big one; supine up on the ceiling; his big hands, panicky fumbling around with his BCD dump valve. :D I chucked to myself for a second and thought: ..."what the hell is this guy doing"... No fatalities on that day, so I guess he figured it out or somebody saved his a**. I wish I had more time watch. It would have been fun to have seen what happen.

Sorry, wont happen. There are not enough advertisers to support this type of show. "Into the Drink" was a failure on almost every level and they put tons of time, money and effort into their show and they got very little ad support and have a diffcult time placing it (giving it away) on ANY network. And all the above comments on "scripted reality shows" are correct. Good luck

Into the drink and descending are amazing shows, both got very little advertising and had little more then a cult following. Id watch it i'd love it so would about 1000 other people, i think thats it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom