Gavin Mini G Battery?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris H

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A couple of my dive buddies have Gavin Mini G scooters that they purchased new. Google searches make is seem like they may be the only two in existence. The batteries are toast in one of them, does anyone have a Lithium pack they can recommend that will fit a Mini G? I don't even have size or specs. I believe it is a 24V. I'm 3 hours away from the battery, and I'll try to get photos and specs. I'm just trying to help him find a battery so we can scooter again.

you're going to need the physical dimensions. IIRC those were NiMH, and they'll be 24 ish volts. If you want to replace with lithium, you'll just have to go to battery space and find one that will physically fit and is rated adequately for discharge. The Gavins use pretty weak motors, but depending on the actual voltage they can probably pull around 600-700watts which is about 30a. Based on that, the fact it's in an enclosed space, and there's no speed controller so the motor is spinning full out, I'd find a BMS that is rated for at least 40a continuous discharge to deal with the heat.

you're going to need the physical dimensions. IIRC those were NiMH, and they'll be 24 ish volts. If you want to replace with lithium, you'll just have to go to battery space and find one that will physically fit and is rated adequately for discharge. The Gavins use pretty weak motors, but depending on the actual voltage they can probably pull around 600-700watts which is about 30a. Based on that, the fact it's in an enclosed space, and there's no speed controller so the motor is spinning full out, I'd find a BMS that is rated for at least 40a continuous discharge to deal with the heat.
Yeah, it appears to be a 24V NiMH. When I was researching battery options for my Dive-X Sierra, the Ping batteries were popular options for DPVs. I’d lean toward a pack already built.

Back
Top Bottom