• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Gay colours?

Discussion in 'LGBTQIA and Friends perspectives' started by Subcooled, Sep 30, 2019.

1. jadairiii

jadairiii Solo Diver

Nice thing about black is that it is damn easy to keep clean (or should I say, not looking nasty). I had a royal blue wing for years that held up very nice, but one of my black up wings had orange in it and within a year the orange become more of a creamsicle color. Not nice. If you really use your gear and live in a state like Florida (with a UV rating of 11), many of those vivid colors that looked so nice in the LDS will look used up in a year or two. On the other hand, if your gear sits in your dive bag most of the time and gets used on vacations and the occasional quarry dive the colors should last a nice long time.

Even my colored long blade fins show a lot more wear than my black fins.

I do use florescent pink tie wraps on most of my regulators, makes them easy to find when your stag regs get all dumped in with others. My red BP harness has held up well, and on my alum BP the blue harness rocks!

2. Chavodel8en

Chavodel8en Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Distinctly colored fins is the easiest way of keeping track of your buddy if there are lots of divers around. I hate a bunch of divers in all black gear, with black fins -- now I need to find some other distinctive marker.

3. CanadaDan

CanadaDan Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Deplor
    Sadly yes... but it's rarer than it would have been decades ago.

In protest to unenlightened idiots like that... and to make them as uncomfortable as I can... I wear sarongs during surface intervals over my speedo :rofl3:

chillyinCanada and DBPacific like this.
  4. KWS

KWS ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I had an experience a while back. I was wearing a tie died T shirt red yellow blue purple etc. I went to walmart and was approached by, there is no other way to put it but a guy looking for a DATE???. While in Walmart I bought another shirt and the check out girl commented about the TIE DIE. and I told her about the guy outside. She knew of him and had him chased off. Other situations could have resulted in violence due to assumption of the other party at time. If you are going to dress the look or anything that others may think it is a look you have to be ready for the consequences. Others I told about this labeled me homophobe etc. I look at it as making it clear I am not enticing.

Too many find offence because they are told to find it. Or are afraid to not be the first to find it. That is what the PC wars is all about. There is a lot of code things many are not aware of. If anyone remembers the day when smoking COOLs had a meaning. Still drinking Sprite and other things. Does anyone remember USING THE SIGN FOR OK you can bet beat to a pulp for that and not even know why.

5. Jay

Jay Need to dive more!

Are you sure it simply wasn’t your good looks?

6. divinh

divinh Photographer

I suppose your concerns came from knowing that women are followed and propositioned regularly for wearing clean clothes and if they said they weren't interested, they may have violence committed upon them? Were you worried that a polite, "I'm not interested", would not be taken at face value and you would have to escape further advances? As women often experience?

DBPacific, chillyinCanada and Storker like this.
  7. KWS

The literal answer to your question as you are tryig to put it is YES. I told the guy I was not inerested. In doing so how does one know how the rejection was taken. Its a bit sad that you use women to make your equality comparison. You dont know the the intent of anyone. My point was that if you dont look the part you probably will not get approached. The part is not defined by you it is in the mind of the other person. Clearly something about my appearance drew attention andf was taken as an invite. Had I been dressed in a Phone company or power company uniform wearing a utility tool belt do you think I still would have been approached. I dont think so, but one never knows for sure till afterwards. I act to prevent the afterwards situation by avoiding any incident. When you are not in your own yard you exercise greater caution. Agenda driving people are not always safe or identifiable. Let me add to this fire. I also do not have political bumper stickers on my car. To do so opens the door and invites some nut to car bash tire slash etc. The behavior is purely a preservation action and not any thing else. I believe most will refer to it as being aware of your surroundings and acting accordingly.

8. divinh

divinh Photographer

Right...

You're worried that someone might hit on you? And it's humiliating for you? Or what? What is your concern?

I've traveled all over that place and have been hit on by both genders. I take it as a compliment. It had nothing to do with what I was wearing. Maybe I'm just a friendly person. Who knows. I politely decline and move on. I'm not a woman, so I do have the advantage of knowing that I'm not going to be pursued because of someone's idea that "no" doesn't really mean "no".

In India, for example, it is quite common for men to be walking arm-in-arm, holding hands, etc. as an expression of friendship. Are you just going to apply /your/ social expectations and say they're gay?

It makes sense to pay attention to social "norms" if you might be put into physical danger, but the situation you were in with a tie-dye tee is far from it.

Shasta_man and chillyinCanada like this.
  9. KWS

Its funny you should say that because , as iot ends up, the store knew him as a person often engaging in propositioning their hoppers. They called the police to remove him. No one knows for sure what the attraction was but something about me made me his target. I reviewed my appearance and changed what I thought may have suggested that I was open to approach,,, in the event there were more in the parking lot. The incident dies not say that the guy was gay (since this is the topic of the thread) other than the store response, but that perhaps he was a mugger or a gay basher and thought that I was a target because of perhaps my attire.

10. Lorenzoid

Lorenzoid idling in neutral buoyancy

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I think it depends whether you were humming “YMCA.”