• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Gay colours?

Discussion in 'LGBTQIA and Friends perspectives' started by Subcooled, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Dr Herring

Dr Herring Angel Fish

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Talking about gay colors is
    so last century. People should wear whatever color gear they want. I love it that my friends all have different colored gear. Some have pink fins, others white fins. It’s much easier to make who’s who underwater then.

My gear is all black, including the tanks. And I’m straight as a U-turn. Does that make black a gay color?
    To make a point I’ve also stuck a rainbow sticker on the scrubber canister or my CCR.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  2. BoundForElsewhere

BoundForElsewhere ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Trying to be politically correct is like trying to pick up a turd from the clean end.

ScubaWithTurk, Dark Wolf and Bob DBF like this.
  3. Storker

Storker Divemaster

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    The appropriate answer, for me, is "thanks for the compliment, but I don't swing that way. Sorry, dude."

I really wonder why </sarcasm>

Um, would you mind rephrasing that in mainstream English?

DBPacific and chillyinCanada like this.
  4. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

Better that he doesn't

KWS and Storker like this.
  5. DBPacific

DBPacific Barracuda

Based on my personal experience in those types of situations and those of my friends? Yeah, what you're wearing doesn't matter. What matters is what the other person thinks they can get away with and what they're entitled to.

Returning to the topic of the thread, if someone wants to tease/mock/make fun of someone else, they'll find a way. If not the color of fins, then something else. The threshold for which people see things as 'unacceptable' or 'improper' in their world view is wider for some, narrower for others, and that often translates to how they treat other people. I personally have learned that the people who are willing to expend so much energy on being angry about my fashion choices not aligning with their personal perceptions aren't people I want to associate with. There are situations when I do alter my behavior to better fit in with others (generally in situations where not fitting in is likely to result in someone attacking me), but doing what makes me happy is better for my enjoyment of life in the long run. If I can't relax and enjoy diving, then why am I diving?

6. KWS

KWS ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

society and agendas have pushed PC and other things to the point that if you do not act accordingly you are a pad person. To many call offended not because they them selves are,,,but that they are expected to.

Here is a sarcastic example. Remember when everyother post from a DIR diver was you are going to kill your self if you do this or that.. Or suggest any thing new the was not inline with the DIR doctrine, and you got the stroke label thrown at you. Much of this is the same. Agendas have forced attitude changes or at least displayed attitudes about so many. we have been indoctrined into every agenda through work school and every aspect of our lives. With that end any thing out of desired main stream is assumed to be BAD. Every thing in society is not a statement of some sorts. We have been conditioned to accept the PC conditioning as reality.

Have you looked at any TV advertizing and then asked if the ad presentation relates to you. You have a say black man with a white wife and a aisian son and many other mixes inthe family in it as it claims to portray the average american family. If you were to say in public how abstract the commercial was You would be absolutely right. Unless the standard of right and wrong was the commercial and then you are the worlds evil. Its amazing how our world has turned into an empowerment world. movies are all about empowerment whether it is related to gender, age, or what ever. every one says that they rule the world. The problem is that there is only one dominate group possible. When you have 10 groups you then have 9 dissappointed groups all claiming foul. I choose to accept there is one group on top even if it changes and don't wallow with the 9 others.

When if comes to appearance ,,, so many dress to speek a message. When that becomes prominate and expected ,, one sees a message in everyones dress whether intended or not. As the fins go it should not be surprising that some one responds (right or wrong) to the flaming colors and questions if it is a social statement. It should also not be surprising that someone that does not wear flaming colors (right or wrong) is also making a statement. IF you are bright colored they you are gay if you are not you have a secret and are insecure etc.

The whole topic is a non win matter. At some point you have to either accept comments as humour or sever association.

Here is something that happened to me about a week or so on a cruise. Im in the comedy club at a table with others and the comedian came out and started off with the following instructions.

look to your neighbor that you dont know and give them a complement.
    then

raise you hands if you are conservative

then

raise your hands if you are liberal.

the liberal chairs in my area all slid away from the table

make of that what you want. to make it worse at the end of the show the women across from me scolded me for being conservative with 5 minute rant and then said she pittied my wife (who is also a conservative) for having to be my victim wife.

This is what will always happen when one brings their personal closet catagory business in to the public eye.

7. KWS

You have a good view of it. Our sport was made to enjoy diving,,, and not to be a platform to push agendas. You probably know being from Oregon what can happen to conservatives by the antifa croud. Guilt by associatioin is enough to complete the crime. There are some things that are best kept in the closet for both you and those you associate with. (you being a general word for anyone else but ones self.)

8. DBPacific

DBPacific Barracuda

Aligning with any politics these days will get you attacked by the other crowd. My liberal friends have had glass bottles thrown at them and gotten rape threats, my conservative friends have been (metaphorically) spit upon and challenged at every turn. I've been attacked/made a target because of so many parts of my identity that I tire of dealing with those who make associations more important than personality and behavior. If you're doing something that is meant to bring you happiness and peace of mind (and it doesn't hurt you or anyone else), then just do it and don't stand for anyone trying to make you miserable. Toxic people like that are best left behind.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  9. KWS

Along with that you have to be cautions not to appear to be pushing your happiness on others. Its a 2 way street. I personally think the whole fin thing is rediculous but society has made it that way. Had this happened decades ago , the incident would not have been mention worthy. Yes there are radicals on both sides and I would like to think that each side do not support the radicals but in reality that is either not the case or not their concern. Either way they some how get ignored as long as they push the same agenda. Many are more puppets than anything else. And as radicals go there is a difference as to why they are radicals. they fall into 2 groups either they are natural radicals or they are labeled radicals because they wont take it any more. ONE ONLY GETS PUNCHED SO MANY TIMES BEFORE THEY PUNCH BACK. Unfortunately that retaliating behavior becomes just as bad as the cause.

10. Storker

Storker Divemaster

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    And what does that mean?

You seem to overlook the fact that there's a whole world west of the Pacific, east of the Atlantic, south of the Rio Grande and north of the Great Lakes.

Don't worry. Many of you do. Quite regularly. But you might benefit from learning about the world.

chillyinCanada and DBPacific like this.