• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Gay colours?

Discussion in 'LGBTQIA and Friends perspectives' started by Subcooled, Sep 30, 2019.

1. KWS

KWS ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Here is the crux of the incident as it has morphed

2. KWS

Your comment is exactly what is at the root of the problem. oversensitivity and believes there os a position that is accepted by ALL. Thats not the real world.

3. drrich2

drrich2 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    That's a good point. Have we yet heard what contemporary Finnish cultural standards are? From the original post:

Is it common for a man in Finland wearing whatever 'colorful' fins are (or similar attire outside scuba) to be suspected of signaling that he's gay? Is this likely to inspire vocal critique by others? Would a straight man realizing this likely modify his attire?

4. Jay

Jay Need to dive more!

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I feel for how I generally see politics in the US being so polarising and the 'need' to wear your colours on you sleeve and have it assumed you agree to everything your political party or leaders ascribe to.

Regarding your TV Ad example with "black man with a white wife and an asian son". Does it matter? Do you really think the ad is laying "claim to portray the average american family"? Perhaps just see it as an ad. Sure, that family might be a minority one, but how does that matter? And if it matters to you, ask why?

A certain "group" being a majority in a society doesn't necessarily mean they should or are 'dominating'. If they are, then ask yourself what does equality mean to me if I was part of another "group".

Perhaps instead of viewing "society and agendas have pushed PC" as binary good/bad, ask yourself how can I learn from that and is there a point to the message? Research, inform, and speak to those that 'push' an 'agenda'. Once it becomes less of 'us & them' and more of 'we', less of an 'agenda' and more of a 'please get to know me', then it won't be viewed as a win/lose, but more of a learning experience.

So the title of this thread is "gay colours" about "gay fins", and you've introduced "flaming colours". I assume you've selected the word "flaming" to represent what you view as an overtly gay colour. No one in this thread has said that a certain colour is gay because it doesn't exist, but will you be telling me otherwise?

It's a small world, we don't need to agree, but I hope we can learn from one another.

5. KWS

That was what the OP was suggesting triggered the comments of the club member. Your comment is exactly what social pressure has made people do regarding anything that is said. Our social groups would rather find or look how to make something offensive than to just let it pass. Our society has been urged to make mountains out of mole hills. And when someone is not,,, they are so often accused of doing so. This specific situation could be anything. so is a thousand other incidents like this.

I dive with color fins so I can be identified, hopefully. ................. Now the person that made the comment should have been the one that was addressed in this matter and not the world. Too many people would rather go the the media and complain rather than take valid steps to resolve a problem like a functional adult. Is personal face to face communication that far behind us. After perhaps 100 posts or so here has anything changed between the 2. probably not. All efforts have then produced more friction and discord than it has cured. There are positions with each persons morals that prohibit trying to learn. understanding in one thing being told to learn to accept is another. You use the word learn . the word has many meanings depending how it is used and by who and for what purpose. those words are too often abused redefined and changed to mean things to certain groups. So at that level NO,,,,,,,I dont have to learn about others. My concern ends when things turn physical, and people are physically hurt for who they are what they are etc. I dont care to learn about anything regarding them. So to play the game a bit I will avoid using the phrase anti gay and say pro hetro instead. Just because my beliefs are pro hetro,,,,, it does not mean i am pro bashing. physical bashing is wrong under any circumstance.

6. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

You are pro-hetro? Is that the same as "I'm a heterosexual"? Or "those heteros need my support" pro-hetero"?

7. DBPacific

DBPacific Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    In regards to @KWS and other SBers I've seen who are concerned about the world becoming too PC - there is certainly a degree of oversensitivity where people/companies try to cover their butts by being overly PC to avoid being attacked or drawing criticism for insulting a demographic. There are also people who push extra-PC language onto other people because they themselves are trying to escape the realization that they are part of the problem. A lot of 'PC culture' or being politically correct is just groups of people who have been insulted, put down, and mocked who have finally gotten enough of a voice in this loud modern age to say: "Can you please stop calling me this/saying that because you're hurting us?" It isn't people trying to take away your voice, it's people asking you to stop using your voice in ways that hurt them. A lot of these insults just become ingrained in language and it feels like you're being attacked to stop using a word you always have. You didn't mean to insult anyone, it's just what you learned! But just because a word you use is hurtful to someone doesn't mean that your entire person is coming under fire, and that's a distinction that many people haven't yet realized. Sure some folks who spend a bit too much time on the internet might make that argument but they're the ones giving 'PC culture' a bad name.

Being PC is really just the language of not being a jerk. A lot of times we don't realize when a behavior is jerk-ish until someone calls us out and gives us advice on how to fix it. It might seem oversensitive to you, but to others it could mean not reminding them of a past trauma, not using a word that people have used as a slur against their race or sex for years, or even just acknowledging that they exist and that ideas different from your own are just as valid and important to others as your ideas are to you.

8. Jay

Jay Need to dive more!

Which comment is this? (I've said a fair bit in my post and if you're specific, I'd like to reply to what I've "made people do") / happy to discuss specifics; generalisations are a bit hard to pin down and discuss.

I hope the conversation between you and I has not caused discord. We might disagree, partially agree etc, and that's ok. I have no issue with you and would happy be your dive buddy! I don't seem to recall too much discord in the last 14 odd pages ...

I was trying to think of some morals that would prevent me from learning, but aside from some things which are illegal (e.g. learning how to commit fraud). If you'd like to be specific I'd like to listen.

Okiees .... so you're saying you're anti-gay and also anti-bashing. Phew, that's a relief! o_O

9. Bob DBF

Bob DBF Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Or announcing a professional status?

Well, if the thread is going off the rails anyway...

Bob

10. Storker

Storker Divemaster

Well, that's mighty white of you.

My beliefs are pro love. And that whatever consenting adults choose to do together is their business and no one else's. Have you tried thinking like that?

lexvil, RyanT, divinh and 1 other person like this.