• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Gay colours?

Discussion in 'LGBTQIA and Friends perspectives' started by Subcooled, Sep 30, 2019.

1. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

Years ago, the trip leader (dive shop owner) was giving me the gears as I walked down the dock towards the boat. "Hey chilly! None of your gear matches!" She managed to get some of the sheeple to laugh. My reply was, "I came to dive, not to be in a fashion show."

I think any diver should use colour/black/white in any manner they choose without some doofus making smart remarks.

I much prefer my buddies/instructors/guides be wearing something distinctive, especially easy to see fins!

Searcaigh, shoredivr and DBPacific like this.
  2. uncfnp

uncfnp Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999

Attached Files:

DBPacific and chillyinCanada like this.
  3. dumpsterpurrs

dumpsterpurrs Divemaster Candidate

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I've actually been debating whether to "fly" the flag above my head, on a string attached to either my wing or tank. Either that or my kid's stuffed animal back when he was a wee baby...

4. aldertyler

aldertyler Nassau Grouper

Admittedly almost all of my gear is black. The only exception is white fins. None of the color choices were intentional, it just worked out that way. I actually tried to buy a red wing, but that color was out of stock so I ended up with black.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  5. KWS

KWS ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

at one time i read it was a dir thing. reflection form bright gear diminishes visibility in the cave world. something about teh livel of light reflected form non black gear was greater than the light reflected from the cave. some what like coming head to head on the highway with someone with thier brights on. NOt in the intensity aspect of being blinded but how the yes react and close up to where other things were not able to be seen.

I see absolutely no adventage in keeping to the black code in open water. I acatually prefer soem color in open water to identify who is who.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  6. flyboy08

flyboy08 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Black is the new orange :wink:

Lostdiver71 likes this.
  7. Manatee Diver

Manatee Diver Manta Ray

# of Dives: None - Not Certified
    Quietly hides my red Xdeep and fins...

Unless you are aiming your hot spot at me, I don't really see that working. And if you are aiming your hot spot at me and it is blinding you a little, why not just not aim your hot spot at me?

8. HKGuns

HKGuns Barracuda

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    I wear big bright yellow SW Nova fins. Figure it’s better to be seen with when diving. I really don’t care what other people think.

9. happy-diver

happy-diver Skindiver Just feelin it ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Here's Mark the best sheeple herder I've ever come across
    He has earned his white fins at least one million times over

full.jpg

No trouble being flash on our boat

full.jpg

10. Saboteur

Saboteur Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    And is always in style... used coloured gear can look so dated, even if perfectly good