• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Gay colours?

Discussion in 'LGBTQIA and Friends perspectives' started by Subcooled, Sep 30, 2019.

1. rmssetc

rmssetc Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Brilliant!

You've just added a reason for me to buy more gear.

2. KWS

KWS ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Sorry but I think your position of being PC goes overboard. I personally would not feel comfortable associating with you in any environment, for the sole reason that I don't need people in my circle who spend their lives , looking for the bad in everything. Much like many posters on this board when if they dont like what you say they resort to attacking your spelling of punctuation. The over sensitive croud critiques everything. If I were to wear black fins the question would arise in some circles whether I was afraid to wear colored ones and then get labeled. When it comes to topics like this there is no winner because it is a PC issue or a feelings issue. NO mater what you call it the reactions to it are always at the level of a 1st grade child. I wear green fins. it is not a political or an agenda statement in any way. I can be seen and picked out of a croud. If I go dry suit i have to change to Black fins for the weight. When someone makes a comment like the one being discussed either it will be an isolated incident or it will be come a deliberate repeated effort to poke at someone and not at some thing. Until then there should be no problem. Its not right to put anyone in a position of being in one of only 2 catagories. These 2 positions being ....either you are a bad person or you are an active supporter of ones agenda purely by association. There are many more positions that exist in between the 2 extreems. Sorry but the idea that there is no such thing as innocent humor says a lot about being able to reside in the middle of the road. The middle of the road is where tollerance is found. tollerance is where those that neither actively oppose or support live.

Here BTW is an example of such a post.....

People who say that are often too insecure of their manhood or dont have the confidence to wear a different or flashy color.
    Those people are what i would call "homophobes" (Everything that isnt a beard and beer is gay & girly ) and i tend to think that they are hiding some secret attraction... :popcorn:

3. happy-diver

happy-diver Skindiver Just feelin it ScubaBoard Sponsor

Whilst I'm still feeling Humorous
    and another set of wreck crawlers

full.jpg

I wonder what JC would wreckon

I love the smell of orange monprene in the morning

4. Shasta_man

Shasta_man Loggerhead Turtle

You spelled multiple words wrong there KWS. That was a joke based on your intro.

I agree with part of your premise that you can't get upset about everything but I think the concept of "overly PC" is being overly used as a shield these days for saying whatever offensive thing you want and then claiming the target is being overly PC for not liking it. Part of your message says you can say what you want, as long as it's once, and if someone takes exception, they're being overly "PC". And that because someone doesn't let you say what you want, they're the one being intolerant.

I don't think that's exactly reasonable.

5. martincohn

martincohn Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Live and let live
    Dive and let dive
    And yes its really that simple

rob.mwpropane and chillyinCanada like this.
  6. KWS

I was not suggesting that at all. I was saying that there is a clear difference between making a single non PC comment and a continued attack against someone. A single comment should be given the benefit of the doubt. I do stand hard about those that look for anything that something can be made into anything considered BAD by their definition of PC. Do you remember the days when no one wore pink ties on TV. Try not wearing one now as see what labels are being cast at the network or program host. Case in point the OK sign is now a white power signal. How long will it be before I will no longer be able to ask after not hearing form you for some time if you are Ok. In the wrong hands it will be determined that I was asking if you are a white power activist and could be refuled employment. That is not just over sensitivity but abuse of the language. Many words can have many meanings, to know what the intent of the word is yo have to use the sentence to get context. Refusing to do that is a common tactic used to day. We are at the point that we have to give up use of words because if fear of over PC interpretations. after all,,, your happy diver can be called gay diver. WOW I wonder if George Straight is a homophobe. I say that in sarcasm but it is all to real in todays world and workplaces. People once could say we all need to chill out and go the dictionary and see what a word means but the ignorant agendas definitions have been added to the dictionary.

Now how do we refer to our lawmaking branch?????

cant say cali is the state of fruits and nuts although true with out the rest of the conversation you dont know the context of its use.
    bicameral legislation cant use that but it is what we have
    joint resolution nope thats out also its just a process
    bipartisan support already covered and it makes people happy when it happens?????
    how do I ask for a pipe adapter when i have to use words like 6" female to male extention because someone may get offended by using gender terms.
    do we have to change some planet names like venus and mars because some body wrote a book using them as gender symbols. Because some one said I can make the news and get 15 min of fame if I make a big deal out of this. We were all better off when we all just said consider the source and severed associations.

see my point the language has been BA _TARDIZED TO THE BENEFIT OF ONE GROUP or another instead of what it actually means. This leaves anyone with any level of literacy open to be labeled for using words as they were once intended.

The comment this person made probably should not have been made given todays environment. Even so the behaviors in the reverse direction is far worse.

Saboteur likes this.
  7. Lorenzoid

Lorenzoid idling in neutral buoyancy

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I dunno about Scubapro, but Deep Six has made the color orange a part of their brand identity. They also seem to intentionally use the word "flippers" sometimes instead of "fins"--I think maybe as a reminder that we all should lighten up. It's just diving.

Frogkicker, rob.mwpropane and Bob DBF like this.
  8. DBPacific

DBPacific Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    @KWS The 4chan 'OK' sign that they made into a white supremacy sign as a joke is a) only taken seriously by kids trying to be cool or news reporters who don't have more material and b) not the same as the normal 'OK' sign. I get and agree that some people who have nothing better to do raise a fuss over words needlessly, but some words and jokes do have serious implications for some people. For instance, I don't make gay jokes like the one discussed in this post because most of my friends are in the LGBT community and have gotten glass bottles thrown at them or worse by people who thought that they seemed gay. Making a gay joke to a friend when we both know that it's harmless and meant in good fun? Yeah, that I'll do, and some of my gay friends make those types of jokes at me. But I personally don't make jokes that encroach on sensitive areas until and unless I know that that person knows I don't mean any harm and they'll also find humor in it.

9. Storker

Storker Divemaster

IOW, know your audience.

I have friends who have a pretty rough and tasteless sense of humor. With them, almost anything goes.
    I have friends who have sensitive areas, often for damned good reasons. I studiously avoid those areas when I'm making a joke.
    I know people who are easily offended, whether that's for good reasons or if it's because they're snowflakes I don't know. When I'm with them, I try to respect their boundaries even if I might find them somewhat ridiculous.

It's just common sense and normal courtesy.

10. KWS

I agree that position is just called social politeness in my book. And I comply with that standard. Mostly because I have better things to do than to pick at sores not my own. I think every one should adapt to that. I have never liked the conclusion that the state on my license plate makes me a redneck. there is no association there. And as if i had a choice to have some other state name issued to me. There are things beyond our control and things that are in our control. Too many use that control to incite. I once witnesses a gal getting asked if she was straight or not because she did not have the bright wet suit and gear. What you wear WILL cause assumptions to be made. It is unavoidable and is made worse when it is done many times for the sole purpose of making a statement. Possibly one intended to incite. Guilt by association is a reality......