• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Gay Friendly Dive Operation

Discussion in 'LGBTQIA and Friends perspectives' started by SandyBramm, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Storker

Storker ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    You got a problem with that?

Over here, we consider that crap to be a natural disadvantage of life, the universe and everything.

markmud likes this.
  2. axluba

axluba Barracuda

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    also surprised that there is still a need for lgbt friendly anything... however if there is still a need I am glad that it is available!

spent some time in NY, I loved it! also I know I'm European so my opinion doesn't matter but still giving it.

3. ontdiver

ontdiver Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    While I think the dive community is generally up to speed and embracing 2020, individuals are still representative of society as a whole - and IMHO we are not quite there yet.

kafkaland, Hoyden and Catito like this.
  4. divad

divad Solo Diver

"Too many goobers."

laikabear likes this.
  5. dogbone

dogbone Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    [QUOTE="

@sandybramm, I have at least three weeks off because of the Wuhan Virus. My wife and I will be travelling. We love the Palm Beaches. We will investigate WPB for some diving. Do you mind us old straight people diving with you?

cheers,
    markmudgett
    PS: My question for Sandy was rhetorical, I am sure I know the answer.[/QUOTE]

Better question is, will they be open...I drove to Atlanta to take part in the rebreather program at the aquarium... Got here, and then at 4 pm, the day before the dive got told the aquarium would be closed for two weeks...

Getting harder and harder to find things staying open :(

markmud likes this.
  6. Joe Underwater

Joe Underwater ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Agreed. I was a littel disheartened when setting up my shops Google listing there was an option for "LGBTQ friendly". Options were "Yes" or no answer. It makes me sad this has to be a thing.

Storker likes this.
  7. kafkaland

kafkaland Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    And being generally there as a community is good, but unfortunately not quite good enough. One bad experience can ruin a dive trip, even if the other 99% of the people you interact with are great. And those of us who have been around for a while have been, or know someone who has been the victim of anti-gay crime. I know someone who was beaten within an inch of his life when leaving a gay bar. Granted, that was twenty years ago, but I have to think that it could have been me just as well, So there’s always a bit of looking over the shoulder going on when you kiss your partner, or introduce your same-sex spouse - this weariness has been beaten into us, literally.

8. Centrals

Centrals Barangay Pasaway

# of Dives:
    I have never came across any operation in SE Asia that has any issue with them.
    All is welcome.

9. Pubdraft

Pubdraft Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Glad to hear there's a LGBT owned dive shop. I'll definitely keep you guys in mind on my next trip to Florida. Personally I never had any issues with anyone but there's always a bit of concern that the next person you tell may not take it well.

10. mcohen1021

mcohen1021 Manta Ray

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Maybe I am oblivious, I don't see why there needs to be segregation WRT to scuba... Seeing big effing shark is the same to me as it would be to someone thats gay. Sexual orientation does not matter, especially if I needed help under water.