• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Gay Friendly Dive Operation

Discussion in 'LGBTQIA and Friends perspectives' started by SandyBramm, Mar 11, 2020.

1. BoundForElsewhere

BoundForElsewhere Waiting for the zombies ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I think the need for making a statement should be obvious. I was recently on a boat where a guy proposed to his girlfriend (albeit between both hurling over the gunwale). Everyone cheered and clapped as one would expect. I suspect some people would been a little uncomfortable had this been a same sex couple, especially with the kissing and pda that occurred thereafter.

So maybe LGBTQ friendly determination / advertisement is not just for gay people to be aware but also for people who do not agree / are put off by homosexuality. Everyone gets to have their opinions and social positions and should neither be forced into nor surprised by a situation in which they are not comfortable.

Kind of like calling a dive at any time for any reason, no questions asked.

What happened to the OP?

2. kmarks

kmarks Divemaster

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    That's kind the opposite of the point of why you have three weeks off because of the CORONAVIRUS!

markmud likes this.
  3. markmud

markmud Self Reliant Diver--On All Dives. ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Don't worry, we are not travelling. The post was written some time ago. The picture has changed although we are still using the same strategy its just that some places in every state have cases beyond what is containable now. We are now biking, running, and walking in our neighborhood. We are not going to public places.

Welcome to your economic depression (mine also)!

cheers,
    m

4. tridacna

tridacna ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    kmarks likes this.
  5. Storker

Storker Divemaster

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I think you're oblivious.

We straights take a lot of things for granted. Like being able to show our partner affection while outside, without someone giving us the stink-eye, harassing us, or getting violent. Many LGBT people have learned from bitter experience that they can't.

Me, I agree with your basic premise. What competently consenting adults choose to do together is nobody's business but their own as long as no-one gets hurt. But it's only during the last rather few years that parts of the world have come to that realization. And other parts of the world haven't. So I think you're in the same bubble as I was only a few years ago.