GBR Ribbon Reefs/Cod Hole Bleaching?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndyKaplan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We're planning our first trip to Australia (from the USA) and have a spot on Spirit of Freedom in August....but we have just been reading a *LOT* of new "GBR is dead from bleaching" reports.

I've heard reports that the Ribbon Reefs have been mostly spared -- due to their deeper water locations? -- but most/all of the reports are from either the liveaboard companies that serve those locations or other types of agents that have a financial incentive for me to take the trip.

Any independent reports? Anyone been diving there (very) recently that isn't affiliated with Spirit of Freedom or Mike Ball or a booking agent? Would love a sense of how those reefs are doing so we can make a real assessment of the trip?

I was on the GBR last weekend for three days. I did not go as far as Cod Hole or the Ribbon Reefs as I just popped up for a long weekend so did a short trip (plus I'm still new at diving and not yet confident enough I have the skills for the Coral Sea. Maybe next year).

Reefs I visited included Hasting, Norman and Saxon. If you find them on a map you'll see I was a long way from where you will be but I hope this is still a little helpful for you!

In my view the bleaching is worse than it was 16 months ago when I last did the GBR. However, it was not as dire as the media reports it. That said... the temperature is warm. There is a problem. I was getting bottom temperatures of 26 - 30 degrees (Celsius obviously) and did not need my wetsuit diving in a rashie and leggings.

I have heard mixed reports of the Ribbon Reefs and Cod Hole. The majority of those reports are through TripAdvisor and not from direct acquaintances. My understanding is there is bleaching, but the boats do try to get you to the least effected locations. Most reviews/reports I have read are along the lines of there is bleaching and the reef has suffered, but it is not all bad news and still worth diving.

I am also aware the bleaching is worse the further north you are, but also effects the top few metres more. I have not ruled out a trip on Spoilsport or SOF next year, but there are now reports of a fresh bleach so I'd be keeping an eye out on reviews before booking anything.

I've attached a photo taken by Scubabo (not me) which might help? Obviously its a shot designed to show the reef in its best light but it was taken on the trip I was on.

Attachments

• 17309744_10154463692818716_11595504590306143_n.jpg
    17309744_10154463692818716_11595504590306143_n.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 216
I've attached another photo - you can see some of the bleaching in this one...

Attachments

• 17308867_10154463691943716_2387721978032897039_n.jpg
    17308867_10154463691943716_2387721978032897039_n.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 203
Thanks -- was also hoping for a more direct report on the Ribbon Reefs/Cod Hole, if anyone has been there very recently....

I was out in the Ribbon Reefs in October with Spirit of Freedom - not sure if that is recent enough? There definitely was some bleaching and from the sounds of it, it sounds like it has been creeping further south.

I can tell you Ribbon Reef 7 is still very fresh in my head (Steve's Bommie) it was AWESOME. @WetPup is an expert here so I will let her chime in. :)

There was a second bleaching event this summer. Back to back bleaching years. It's...not good.

I will come back and post links later when I am on my laptop.

We were on a Spirit of Freedom trip this past September that hit the Ribbon Reefs and Osprey Reef. Really didn't see any signs of bleaching on any of our dives.

We're planning our first trip to Australia (from the USA) and have a spot on Spirit of Freedom in August....but we have just been reading a *LOT* of new "GBR is dead from bleaching" reports.

I've heard reports that the Ribbon Reefs have been mostly spared -- due to their deeper water locations? -- but most/all of the reports are from either the liveaboard companies that serve those locations or other types of agents that have a financial incentive for me to take the trip.

Any independent reports? Anyone been diving there (very) recently that isn't affiliated with Spirit of Freedom or Mike Ball or a booking agent? Would love a sense of how those reefs are doing so we can make a real assessment of the trip?

Back
Top Bottom