GC 1/13 - few questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

potato cod

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey there!

It is freezing here in western NY, so I just booked a spur-of-the-moment dive trip to Sunset House on Grand Cayman 1/13-1/20 for myself and the husband. Because it was last minute, I really haven't done any research and have a few questions.

1. Anyone know what the current water temp is? How much wetsuit should I bring? (I get cold pretty easily).

2. Any not-to-miss topside activities?

3. Favorite places to eat within walking distance of Sunset House?

4. Favorite dive sites to request?

Thanks!!!!
P-Cod

I suppose that our 72 degrees today doesn't count as freezing... but it is cool for Cayman.

Water temps should be about 81 or so. Bring a full 3mm with hood... maybe even a 5mm if you are prone to getting really chilled. It might be nice having a 5mm later in the week.

Topside... take in Stingray City. You can do it as a dive or a snorkel. Not bad either way. For your final offgassing day you might want to rent a car and explore the eastern districts. The Botanic Park is really nice if you like such things. Rum Point is a great beach to relax away an afternnon in a hammock and drink (really expensive) blender drinks.

Sunset House is about a mile south of George Town. Check out Guy Harvey's Island grill (upstairs from the Harley Davidson shop) or Breezes for a reasonably priced meal with a view of the sea. Both are right in GT.

Sites in the Northwest Point area are a bit longer boat ride but are really nice. See if they are running a North Wall boat (requires decent weather) and jump on that one day.

72 degrees sounds a LOT better than 22!

Thanks for the recommendations! The botanical garden sounds right up our alley.

I'm leaving at 5:40 A.M. out of Ohare, can't wait. I'm diving with Indigo Divers and staying at the Westin until 11-17. Yahoo!

We really enjoyed the botanical gardens on Grand. Well worth an afternoon trip and the walk of colors is very impressive.

great! we'll definitely make sure we make it to the botanical gardens then.

Quick list of to-do's:

- Botanical Garden (+-2h if you go easy and take lots of pics of the Blue Iguanas)
- Rum Point
- Drive the "eastern loop"
- Seven Mile beach
- Stingray city ... even the boat trip (+-3h) is great and well worth it. make sure you do this!

My favorite place to eat is Portofino. Its all the way east! Great for casual evening dining and excellent for Sunday brunch ; its the best deal on island.

Cheers

M.

Back
Top Bottom