Gear Advice for Novice Divers From Novice Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well worth a read! Thanks for sharing this with other SB users. Your comments are thoughtful and informative, and it certainly appears that you approached gear selection and acquisition from a logical and objective perspective.

Good read as someone just getting in to diving. I got the PADI suggested fins, snorkel, and mask and a few accessories for comforts sake, so it's nice to have some thoughts about where to go from there. I'm going to buy myself a little graduation present after certifying - a decent computer. But as for everything else, this post seems like a pretty good guide to think on. Thanks!

Thanks for all the nice posts. @Triad good luck and fun diving with your basic class. A lot of divers like to get their DC first, and if I didn't actively dislike jacket BCD's I probably would have as well.

There are good deals on used tanks and regs if you know what to look for and can service them yourself or at reasonable cost.

Floats. For boat diving, you don't need them. If it's your boat, get a flag or two and put it on your boat. For shore diving, there are two situations. If all you really want is compliance with mandatory flag laws, you can get a small portable flag. But if you're in a lake where power boats are a real risk and are a long way from shore you should have something that provides a source of flotation as well as supporting a larger flag than is strictly required. I use a milk crate with a motorcycle inner tube attached to it with cord, and a 30" fiberglass pole for a 20x24" flag.

@2airishuman Service a reg, for a new diver? I look forward to servicing my own regs one day, but it is not a new diver skill. Nor is hydro on a tank - I don't even know what the requirements are for cert work on a tank to be legal, but I know you have to meet some sort of Federal requirements in the US. However, I would absolutely be interested in better ideas on used gear. I did not have much luck with what I found on the used market when I was looking.

I am with you on floats. There is a balance between portability and visibility, and I think we ere too far to the side of portability even when we shouldn't. I trust most powerboat drivers as far as I can throw them. My ideal F&F would be equipped with a cannon to ward them off while I dive.

@2airishuman Service a reg, for a new diver? I look forward to servicing my own regs one day, but it is not a new diver skill. Nor is hydro on a tank - I don't even know what the requirements are for cert work on a tank to be legal, but I know you have to meet some sort of Federal requirements in the US. However, I would absolutely be interested in better ideas on used gear. I did not have much luck with what I found on the used market when I was looking.

I am with you on floats. There is a balance between portability and visibility, and I think we ere too far to the side of portability even when we shouldn't. I trust most powerboat drivers as far as I can throw them. My ideal F&F would be equipped with a cannon to ward them off while I dive.

You cannot Hydro a tank. You need to remove the valve and take it to a hydro facility, usually the same place that checks out fire extinguishers. You could learn how to do VIPs and buy the gear, however it is a largely useless skill unless you have your own compressor. Dive shops normally will not fill a tank with a VIP from someplace they don't know. Anyone can get stickers made and paste them on a tank.

As far as floats go. Spearfishing ones are generally better than Scuba ones. However you need to make sure the flag meets state requirements.

You cannot Hydro a tank. You need to remove the valve and take it to a hydro facility, usually the same place that checks out fire extinguishers. You could learn how to do VIPs and buy the gear, however it is a largely useless skill unless you have your own compressor. Dive shops normally will not fill a tank with a VIP from someplace they don't know. Anyone can get stickers made and paste them on a tank.

As far as floats go. Spearfishing ones are generally better than Scuba ones. However you need to make sure the flag meets state requirements.

That is about what I thought. Spearfishers do seem to have the cooler floats, though I imagine that is because they demand more out of their floats than a diver does. Other than that floating mine the @Francesea linked, which is awesome. I am pretty sure I would end up surfacing next to the Coast Guard though... so maybe not. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom