Gear check and advice - wall of text haha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rofl3: I think the chances of there being "something better" then perdix ai 6 months from now are rather slim. At least for most definitions of "better".

I was more meaning I don't want to buy a wrist computer inferior to the Peridix AI. That's because I will probably want to upgrade and then ill end up just buying the Peridix or equivalent down the road when I could just have got it day one.

Well. It's a chunk of change, but you seem to be running up a decent total anyway. The deep 6 recreational computer should make a good backup to the perdix, but it has one small problem: it does not exists. So unless miracle happens and that $150 deep 6 materializes at DEMA in November, there isn't a cheap wrist computer to recommend to someone who is planning to upgrade to a shearwater.

Well. It's a chunk of change, but you seem to be running up a decent total anyway. The deep 6 recreational computer should make a good backup to the perdix, but it has one small problem: it does not exists. So unless miracle happens and that $150 deep 6 materializes at DEMA in November, there isn't a cheap wrist computer to recommend to someone who is planning to upgrade to a shearwater.

Haha, yes I am soon to see the damage when I get the quote from the DS. However, given I am out on the water every few weekends it should be money well spent. I am one of those people that buys high quality gear that most likely exceeds my capabilities, but reassures you that you can depend on it and know you don't need to upgrade for a long time.

My research indicates that the most expensive part of kitting up is rebuying gear. I would be very surprised if you were inclined to rebuy after getting a good BP/W, good reg set, especially Apeks, and a Shearwater DC. I did the AOW and buy dive gear thing this past summer and I am very happy with what I bought. I will also say that OW and AOW don't tend to teach much in the way of how to select gear - as you probably already know, that is knowledge one has to seek out oneself. The only thing I would add to the DC discussion is that BP/W setups work best with the DIR primary donate reg setup that tbone pointed out. That means you don't have a depth gauge (no console). That is fine, because your DC is a superior solution to your depth gauge needs. However, it is always good to have a backup. You could use your freediving Mares for that and be set. However, if you are going to be traveling for diving at some point you will eventually want a backup dive computer to your nice Shearwater. If you are getting up against your budget you could purchase your backup DC now and defer purchasing a Shearwater. The downside is that $200 backup/basic DC's do not run the same algorithm as a Shearwater. Until the Deep6 DC comes out (could be a while) that is just how it is.

I will also second the desirability of dry suits, with the caveat that I can't afford one yet either. One of these days...

I just figured out how I could afford my Perdix AI. I don't dive in water colder than 75°, hence I don't need a dry suit. I don't really need a wet suit because MOST of the time the water is above 80°. :)

Cheers - M²

I just figured out how I could afford my Perdix AI. I don't dive in water colder than 75°, hence I don't need a dry suit. I don't really need a wet suit because MOST of the time the water is above 80°. :)

Cheers - M²
I would say the test is whether you feel cold at those temperatures in that particular suit (and undersuit for drysuit or layers for wetsuit such as Farmer John style). Some people will dive dry in nearly all conditions, others prefer to dive wet in conditions others wouldn't even consider diving in at all. What suits you is what matters.

Quick Update

The Dive Shop agrees with the initial gear list with a couple of exceptions:

1) Believe the Perdix AI is overkill and are suggesting a Suunto Cobra console. They suggest the console will be superior for hunter gathering and won't get in the way like a watch. I agree about the getting in the way to some degree, however have done very little research on console units.

2) The best package deals they have includes the XTX50 with XTX40 Octo. Saves quite a bit, however the savings might be lost if they have to convert to the primary donate setup.

3) They are also suggesting the Dive Rite Transpac is the harness to go for

4) They are also recommending the Dive Rite Stainless Steel Light back plate, no reason given at this stage.

Anyway, thought I would run this by you guys to get some more advice given how helpful you have been so far!

Last edited:
I don't know about any of that gear, but my gut tells me that if you want something and they have it, but they want you to buy something else then this MAY be a profit motivated recommendation on their part. They may have a higher margin on the equipment that they suggest. - Get what you want so you won't be re-buying in 6 months or a year.
AND I agree that the Perdix AI may be overkill, but lately the Suunto's have been getting some bad press.
Just my 2 cents.

Cheers - M²

If you have the funds and it will not impede you getting other equipment (or a mortgage payment), get the Shearwater. You may not regret getting the Suunto but you definitely will not regret the Shearwater.

1) Believe the Perdix AI is overkill and are suggesting a Suunto Cobra console. They suggest the console will be superior for hunter gathering and won't get in the way like a watch. I agree about the getting in the way to some degree, however have done very little research on console units.

Big selling point of wireless AI is you can have your readouts in front of your eyes while tracking your target (photographing, hunting). Console, you have to look away.

Secondly you can buy a (US prices) $50 SPG, $200 Mares Puck, and have enough left from Cobra's price for the entire BP&W -- and you can tie the puck to the spg if you don't want it on your wrist. But I think maybe you do because of the above. It terms of function, the only thing cobra has that SPG + Puck doesn't is real-time tracking of your gas consumption.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom