Gear check and advice - wall of text haha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So are you going to dive in low vis much? -- If so, you want an OLED/TFT screen, and if you look at computer with those, I think you'll find that perdix w/o transmitter isn't any more expensive than any of 'em. You could buy a slimline SPG for now, you'd probably want to have one anyway, and buy the transmitter later.
That was my main reason for changing to Perdix AI - was doing a couple of dives in reasonable vis of about 3-5m and could read my buddies EON better than I could read my Cressi (even with the backlight on). Did a few night dives later that year and the hassle of trying to manage an LCD (black on grey), backlight and power inflator/dump valve during ascent/descent was task loading I prefer to do without. Used the Perdix in the same conditions and no hassles from it.

Also the SPG in my console glows but only if "activated" by a torch and even then only for a minute or two so any time you need a gas check, you have a process of lighting it first then checking unlike the Perdix which achieves it with one glance.

Doesn't need to be a Perdix but the OLED/TFT makes a difference.

All I can add is that as an avid lobster(crayfish) diver I second the above recommendation that you should avoid a dry suit. When I dive cold water, i.e. the Channel Islands in California I wear a 7mm wetsuit which has lots of armor on the elbows and knees. It's ugly as hell and has been "repaired" many times with a lot of 3M 5200 and I only get cold on the third or fourth dive of the day.

All gear is on order, however the Dive shop have given me a week to reconsider the XL4 second stages given their release in October. Is it worth making a last minute swap from the XTX50/40 to the XL4?

The rest of the kit is arriving in the first week of December so no changes to other gear can be made.

All gear is on order, however the Dive shop have given me a week to reconsider the XL4 second stages given their release in October. Is it worth making a last minute swap from the XTX50/40 to the XL4?

The rest of the kit is arriving in the first week of December so no changes to other gear can be made.

what's the cost?
The XL4 is fine, but unless you are flying all the time, you won't really benefit from it. I personally would stay with the DST/XTX50 set

what's the cost?
The XL4 is fine, but unless you are flying all the time, you won't really benefit from it. I personally would stay with the DST/XTX50 set

Have not been quoted a price, however they have to be within the ball park of what it can be purchased for online. We do travel quite a bit so I would say at least 25-30% of my dives will be after flying somewhere.

Have not been quoted a price, however they have to be within the ball park of what it can be purchased for online. We do travel quite a bit so I would say at least 25-30% of my dives will be after flying somewhere.

you're saving ounces on this, not pounds, so it's not something I'd make those tradeoffs

Out of curiosity what do you see as being the biggest trade-offs outside of cost?

First stage-is basically a DS4, so if you're getting a DS4 XTX50 then it's no change. I'd recommend getting the DST which gives you more flexibility in hose routing by allowing the swivel and 5th port. It also gives you a second HP port that the XL4/DS4 do not have. If you intend to go WAI in the future as well as run an analog SPG, it requires the use of a splitter somewhere vs just using the other side.

Second stage
Lose the diver changeable exhaust T's. The wide T's are very nice for the primary regulator
Lose the adjustment knob, not a huge deal but it allows you to lower the cracking pressure to a point that it basically breathes for you while being able to turn it back when you are at the surface so you minimize risk of freeflow
Lower WoB at .7j/l on the XTX series vs .9j/l on the XL4. Is it huge? No, but it is there and that big of a difference should be noticeable, especially at depth.

First stage-is basically a DS4, so if you're getting a DS4 XTX50 then it's no change. I'd recommend getting the DST which gives you more flexibility in hose routing by allowing the swivel and 5th port. It also gives you a second HP port that the XL4/DS4 do not have. If you intend to go WAI in the future as well as run an analog SPG, it requires the use of a splitter somewhere vs just using the other side.

Second stage
Lose the diver changeable exhaust T's. The wide T's are very nice for the primary regulator
Lose the adjustment knob, not a huge deal but it allows you to lower the cracking pressure to a point that it basically breathes for you while being able to turn it back when you are at the surface so you minimize risk of freeflow
Lower WoB at .7j/l on the XTX series vs .9j/l on the XL4. Is it huge? No, but it is there and that big of a difference should be noticeable, especially at depth.

Once again, thank you!

Sticking with the DST and XTX50 package, they are going to see what the price difference would be if i swapped the XTX40 for an XL4.

Once again, thank you!

Sticking with the DST and XTX50 package, they are going to see what the price difference would be if i swapped the XTX40 for an XL4.

I can't imagine it would be much, and I'm a huge fan of matching second stages. The 40/50 combo is close enough to matching that I personally wouldn't adjust it based on price unless it was quite substantial, in this case it would have ot be close to $100 for me to say it's worth going with that reg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom