Gear for when traveling with Carry-on luggage only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shafqat Ahmed

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I traveling abroad frequently, and stopped checking luggage about 5-10 years ago - too many delays or lost bags, and easier to adventure travel with less stuff. If the trip will be longer than 2 weeks, I'd rather pay for laundry than carry extra clothes. Once I started diving, my travel luggage setup became one rolling bag for clothes, one backpack for scuba gear.

I live in SF, so the closest diving is actually a flight down to LA or San Diego - much faster than the 3 hour drive to Monterey. Flying + Scuba has always been a package deal for me, so I've bought most of my gear with that in mind.

I pack my Hydros Pro, regs, mask, computer, camera all in my dedicated scuba backpack, occasionally adding my booties and gloves depending on destination. The Hydros Pro was a key purchase for me, due to "packability".

I typically rent wetsuit and fins onsite.

Wetsuit to reduce bulk, low risks, and I'll often be diving multiple cities/countries on a trip and can't count on a consistent exposure protection level for the entire trip anyway.

Fins because I haven't yet found fins that are both good and easy to travel with. I think the typical R or M fin is around 25'' - 27'' long, I'd need something under 21'' to feel able to lug it around for 1-2 weeks on flights and cabs and that seems unlikely to be an effective fin.

Does anyone have any other "carry-on luggage only" scuba travel tips? Any ways I could improve my setup?

I like my very light, carry on packable Oceanic Accell fins for travel. Good enough as far as I am concerned and I am on the big / heavy side of things. The very light weight silicone rubber band works quite well too, albeit one can inadvertantantly stretch it of the cleat when not being coordinated taking fins off in a sea (never happened to me or my daughter, but hapoened to my wife). So I liked them enough to buy a few... but only when I found them at 50% off. Didn't see them at that discount for a while. Could use a set for my son.
The Deep 6 fins may be a consideration, they are bulkier and with that a little heavier too, although they still are fairly light (and likely a better fin for stuff like back kicking, although it can be done with the Accells)

I traveling abroad frequently, and stopped checking luggage about 5-10 years ago - too many delays or lost bags, and easier to adventure travel with less stuff. If the trip will be longer than 2 weeks, I'd rather pay for laundry than carry extra clothes. Once I started diving, my travel luggage setup became one rolling bag for clothes, one backpack for scuba gear.

I live in SF, so the closest diving is actually a flight down to LA or San Diego - much faster than the 3 hour drive to Monterey. Flying + Scuba has always been a package deal for me, so I've bought most of my gear with that in mind.

I pack my Hydros Pro, regs, mask, computer, camera all in my dedicated scuba backpack, occasionally adding my booties and gloves depending on destination. The Hydros Pro was a key purchase for me, due to "packability".

I typically rent wetsuit and fins onsite.

Wetsuit to reduce bulk, low risks, and I'll often be diving multiple cities/countries on a trip and can't count on a consistent exposure protection level for the entire trip anyway.

Fins because I haven't yet found fins that are both good and easy to travel with. I think the typical R or M fin is around 25'' - 27'' long, I'd need something under 21'' to feel able to lug it around for 1-2 weeks on flights and cabs and that seems unlikely to be an effective fin.

Does anyone have any other "carry-on luggage only" scuba travel tips? Any ways I could improve my setup?

I live in san jose and just came back from san diego. SF to monterey is WAY easier than booking flight going through lines etc then renting a car and hotel room. Its only an hour to monterey from san jose so id call it two hours from SF. now the drive back may be 4 to 5 hours with the traffic ill grant you that.

If I were you id drive down late night get a room or drive down early morning and dive then have dinner after and drive back late. itll be two hours each way and far less headache than hopping a plane flight.

now you may want to do the wrecks down in san diego etc but monterey has lovers point carmel monastary beach etc etc also

to answer your question btw I have a hydros also and backpack all my gear carry on to philippines and to mexico. you can attach fins to the outside of your hydros backpack just get any of the above mentioned light fins. Those scubapro go fins are light AND non bulky. I also can get my 3 mil wetsuit, two full regulator sets, two dive computers, two masks, snorkel, and hydros bcd in the backpack so if you are going tropical id recommend bringing a 3 mil. I rented a wetsuit in tropical diving location once. Once only. Came back with huge black splotches all over upper legs and gluteus maximus. antibiotic pills and shots too.

never rent a wetsuit again after that

If you're ok with renting, I wouldn't change it. However, with my fins (too long) i just attach to the outside of my backpack. They still pack fine. I have mares and find they are light enough I don't mind they are long for traveling.

@NAUI Wowie Oh no, what happened in that wetsuit? You may have just convinced me to add a 3MM to my kit. Were you wearing anything underneath the wetsuit?

Respectfully disagree about Monterey vs San Diego travel time, I've done both many times. Where I live in SF, it's a minimum 2.5h drive to Monterey if theres no traffic. And driving back is always worse.
Like you've stated, round trip travel time to/from Monterey on average is 6 hours for me.

For San Diego, I am a frequent flyer with TSA Precheck, airline/car rental status, no check-in luggage, etc. - I can make it from my apartment to San Diego hotel in just shy of 3 hours - so same travel time but now I get back 3+ hours of my life reading/sleeping on the plane, instead of driving.

@NAUI Wowie Oh no, what happened in that wetsuit? You may have just convinced me to add a 3MM to my kit. Were you wearing anything underneath the wetsuit?

Respectfully disagree about Monterey vs San Diego travel time, I've done both many times. Where I live in SF, it's a minimum 2.5h drive to Monterey if theres no traffic. And driving back is always worse.
Like you've stated, round trip travel time to/from Monterey on average is 6 hours for me.

For San Diego, I am a frequent flyer with TSA Precheck, airline/car rental status, no check-in luggage, etc. - I can make it from my apartment to San Diego hotel in just shy of 3 hours - so same travel time but now I get back 3+ hours of my life reading/sleeping on the plane, instead of driving.

Well I do love San Diego so I understand. I want to do the yukon and other wrecks there soon.

As for the wetsuit yea that was a nightmare. You can never tell if they really take care of gear in countries like mexico or P.I. or anywhere for that matter. I had on boardshorts and a full longsleeve rashguard but once that infection gets anywhere on legs it spreads everywhere in a few days. And very close to the privates. Would have been difficult to explain to girlfriend that things turned black due to a wetsuit and not um...... yea ...not renting wetsuits again....

Well I do love San Diego so I understand. I want to do the yukon and other wrecks there soon.

As for the wetsuit yea that was a nightmare. You can never tell if they really take care of gear in countries like mexico or P.I. or anywhere for that matter. I had on boardshorts and a full longsleeve rashguard but once that infection gets anywhere on legs it spreads everywhere in a few days. And very close to the privates. Would have been difficult to explain to girlfriend that things turned black due to a wetsuit and not um...... yea ...not renting wetsuits again....

What was the infection?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom