Gear Help+Diving Anilao+Non-SCUBA Travel Vietnam/Cambodia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fdpdrum345

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all. My Gf and I just booked a trip with Dennis from Anilio Critters. We are going to be staying with him for a few days, and then we are going to travel around Vietnam and Cambodia.

We are still in the process of planning the latter portion of the trip, but I have a particular concern about lugging all of my gear around once we are done diving.

Does anyone have any experience storing gear places? Shipping gear? Or solutions so I don't need to lug around a 50 pound suitcase full of dive gear when it is not needed?

Thanks!

In the non diving countries just book taxis or other types of private transfers. Many people travel in these countries with lots of luggage. It is probably cheaper to use private transfers than to rent gear.

Also, shipping or "baggage forwarding" is really expensive.

I understand the lack of desire to lug around the extra weight, and theft concerns at hotels, but it's likely your best option unless you plan to return through Manila....

In the non diving countries just book taxis or other types of private transfers. Many people travel in these countries with lots of luggage. It is probably cheaper to use private transfers than to rent gear.
Absolutely.
I have always carried my diving luggage all along my mixed land/diving trips even though the dive portion was only one week on a 3 weeks holiday. (specially VN or Cambodia, which btw allowed me to dive here and there).
The strategy I usually had was to book the same hotel for both days IN and OUT of the country (ie. HCM or Phnom Penh) and ask the hotel to store to my dive bag so I can retrieve it on the last day. It normally guarantees that everything would be still in the bag.
I never had any problems with that : though preferably book a better hotel than a rathole.

The strategy I usually had was to book the same hotel for both days IN and OUT of the country (ie. HCM or Phnom Penh) and ask the hotel to store to my dive bag so I can retrieve it on the last day. It normally guarantees that everything would be still in the bag.
I never had any problems with that : though preferably book a better hotel than a rathole.

Ah, now that's a great idea! I would probably use good quality luggage locks to help ensure no Sticky Fingers find their way in. I would venture to guess that most better hotels would have their reputation in mind, thus preventing any tampering....

Thank you all for your solid feedback. I'll do the best I can with what you all gave me.

Most likely I'll take my own gear and then use some combination of the above described to take care of the gear and etc. Plus I have insurance on it all anyway, so all good.

Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom