Gear list?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luckily(?) here in Maine it is mostly stone and gravel beaches, not much in the way of sand...
Yeah same here, though we do have several sites at beaches. I tried gearing up on sand a few times in Florida, resulting in a $100 reg repair. I was a careful as possible, once even wrapping the 2nd stages in plastic bags.

Don't really trust my LDS since I've read lots of reviews of them trying to upsell and when I contacted them about group pool events I was told everyone would need there own mask and snorkel for health reasons but they sell those there.

A well-fitting mask goes a long way as others mentioned. I can't imagine having to select a mask from a crate of them. Most of the LDS around me required mask, snorkel, fins (and booties) to start the Open water class. All of the dive shops around me provided masks, snorkels, and fins for discover scuba classes only.

Just because a dive shop tries to upsell you on equipment does not necessarily mean they are not trustworthy. Equipment sales pay the bills.

Find out about the equipment they have to rent once. The dive shops I have been in have had a small selection of gear in their rental program. My LDS mainly had Aqualung Zuma for rent which is a back inflate BCD. What is the cost to rent the gear after certification? My main LDS charges $75 USD for a full equipment set while the other charges 80/day. That does not include personal gear (mask, snorkel, boots, fins). That can add up quickly. Some LDS offer specials for their fun dives. A shop near us with their own quarry rents a full set of equipment (minus personal) for $20 when doing their fun dive. Depending on how far you are from the dive shop can make rentals a pain to deal with. It is much easier to get out diving with your own equipment.

I started out with a backplate and wing. My wife started with a scubapro ladyhawk but she has now transitioned to a backplate and wing. We originally bought 7mm wetsuits but a year later we bit the bullet and bought drysuits for this season. A lot of the stuff we bought was used, but you need to know what you are buying.

Newly certified Diver and noticed when I Google my thread title it takes me to websites that tell me the gear I need for just blindly following along others.

I'm looking for a list of what you bring diving if it's just you and a buddy and your leading the dive.

Don't really trust my LDS since I've read lots of reviews of them trying to upsell and when I contacted them about group pool events I was told everyone would need there own mask and snorkel for health reasons but they sell those there.

That kind of turned me off because the regulator goes in your mouth for the longest but those are safe if covid-19 is the issue?

When you are blindly following others (a DM led group dive) your dive buddy probably doesn't care about you and everyone else is elsewhere. When you do a private dive together with one buddy only, you might be more safe. At least if you plan your dive well. Talking is important. Brains - quite important, too. Know the site, if possible. Know what you want to see. Know the goal of the dive. Know you buddy. Talk about the dive and agree on signs and procedures. Who does what and when and what if the dive turns out to be too demanding? Do you have a plan B?

Equipment: Breathing, buoyancy, finding your way back and not getting stuck are important.

Hence you probably want to have extra breathing gas ( = turn around early enough), a redundant breathing apparatus ( = an octo) and redundant buoyancy (or weights you can drop). Perheaps also redundant light(s) if it's dark or a backup mask if the water is very cold. You could rent these.

One would expect a diver to own their mask at least because faces are of different form and you'll need to find a mask that fits you well. Many new divers find it very stressfull when their mask floods. This can cause unnecessary problems, incidents, and accidents. I can see why they want to sell you a mask. A snorkel is less critical unless you dive in rough seas.

A small cutting device might be on your list too. It is quite unlikely that you will get entangled in anything, but if you do, it might be a fishing net. Or kelp. A surface marker buoy might be usefull at sea - especially it there is high sea traffic.

If you are diving with a buddy only then you are probably not insured by any company. I would then suggest that you get, for example, the Divers Alert Network membership and insurance. There are countries (look at Europe - or Cuba for example) where public health care takes care of you, but in the U.S. you will need an insurance.

I'm looking for a list of what you bring diving if it's just you and a buddy and your leading the dive.

I missed your original question. Here is my list but it really doesn't help with your concern of LDS up selling.

Before the dive

map of lake(s) (on phone)
dive plan
check weather

For the Dive:

BCD
Regulator set
Personal (fins, booties, mask, snorkel (optional))
drysuit/wetsuit
hood and gloves
save a dive kit
dive flag w/ 100 foot finger spool.
DSMB with finger spool
2 lights
tank markers (night dives only)
weights + extra for others to use if needed
Tanks (We now take 4 tanks each if we plan a full day of diving)
dive computer
compass
knife/line cutter
whistle
wetnotes

For Surface Intervals:

cooler with food and drinks (non-alcholoic)
folding chairs
canopy
grill (only sometimes)
boat coat/poncho
sun screen
Thermos full of hot water
Coffee

It doesn’t have a low pressure inflator hose like EVERY other wing.

It is like an old elevator lever to control your buoyancy? no thanks.

https://images.app.goo.gl/ivPgwGGAoiEUZivFA

Hopefully to be more descriptive on the "why". Having equipment that is completely different than "standard" can confuse other divers in an emergency situation. Since you are a new diver it could work the opposite as well, where you may not automatically know how to use "standard" equipment on other divers in an emergency situation.

Spare mask. It's good to carry spare mask straps, but having a spare mask ready to go saves fiddling with strap replacement at the dive site. I don't take it on the dive, but it's in my car--have used it several times when straps broke.

Here is what I have been using as a checklist to prevent me from forgetting things but will need to be customized for your diving.

Attachments

• Scuba Checklist.docx
    25.6 KB · Views: 82
Hopefully to be more descriptive on the "why". Having equipment that is completely different than "standard" can confuse other divers in an emergency situation. Since you are a new diver it could work the opposite as well, where you may not automatically know how to use "standard" equipment on other divers in an emergency situation.
In the past, it was found to have issues operating safely after a lot of use.

Its different than every other bc or wing inflation method - why use it then? If you have an emergency, you want your gear to be standardized or at least understood by your team helping you in case they have to control your buoyancy.

Located in a bad position - right hip. Entanglement hazard and not in the triangle of safety between head, shoulders and waist. Can only use it with your right hand.....what happens if you can't use hour right hand...

When you use it, you won't even be able to see it and visually check its function unless in thing exposure protection.

Such a complicated design for a simple idea and why re invent the wheel? The wheel in this case is the LP inflator hose which is reliable and simple.

I could go on..

An octo certainly is not redundant.

:facepalm:my bad

(for the dive buddy it would be the redundant air source, but not for self: situations where only a second stage breaks are rare)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom