Gear purchases you DON’T regret

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have any major gear regrets but the MVP purchase based value would be Mares Jax mouthpiece. A mouldable mouthpiece doesn't cost much and makes diving more comfortable.

I also don't regret choosing a mask in the dive store without looking at the price tag, even though I spent more than I would have liked. A mask that fits is priceless. In my case that was a Hollis M3

Will the Jax mouthpiece a scubapro s620ti?

@txgoose, here ya go. This photo is from the top, looking down, you can see the two handles on the inside that are awesome for clipping lights and other gear onto. The only issue is that the bolts that come with the handles are too long. They are designed for wood, not the narrow plastic sides of the crate. So you either have to clip the ends of the bolts off with a bolt cutter or buy new, shorter ones that will snug up to the handle through the narrower plastic crate.View attachment 483686

What is the approx size of the crate?
Thanks

When I was brand new, I was looking for a part and brought my Freedom Plate into a dive shop the sells back plates and tech gear. It was my first BC because I researched something minimalist and I got lucky. I got ridiculed by the store owner and 2 employees as they all half-assedly tried it on and picked on whatever was different about it. It made me feel so small.

I honestly have never dived in anything but my Freedom Plate - I bought another traditional aluminum plate but haven't even rigged it up - the FP is just too perfect and special.

I began diving with a plastic backpack, manual bottom timer and capillary depth gauge, so minimalist ideas appeal to me. I later got a job in a dive shop where I bought gear at keyman prices. I had a cheap jacket BC for a few years, followed by a Dacor RIG POS. It was called a "tech" rig because it held doubles and had too many D-rings. I ripped the back of it out twice with double 120s.

I later bought a Halcyon backplate and wing. The wing arrived with a tear in the bladder. Halcyon wouldn't replace it but offered me an upgrade for an additional fee. I patched the bladder with a waterbed patch.

When Eric asked me to demo a Freedom plate in SoCal I jumped at the opportunity. During the next year, I got to use it once. Some of the divers I showed it to ordered their own right away. Merry used it and I couldn't keep up with her on surface swims. A year later, I ordered a new version for Merry and she secretly ordered one for me. We haven't used anything since for single tank dives.

When I was brand new, I was looking for a part and brought my Freedom Plate into a dive shop the sells back plates and tech gear. It was my first BC because I researched something minimalist and I got lucky. I got ridiculed by the store owner and 2 employees as they all half-assedly tried it on and picked on whatever was different about it. It made me feel so small.

I honestly have never dived in anything but my Freedom Plate - I bought another traditional aluminum plate but haven't even rigged it up - the FP is just too perfect and special.
If you don’t mind me asking, was this shop in Socal or HI?

That sounds a bit strange. The manager of Pacific Wilderness is Jon Davies. He is a long time friend of both Eric and me, and he dives a Freedom plate.
Depends on which day he was in there. Jon has weekdays off.
Jon would have known exactly what it was, who made it, and could have rigged it for him blind folded.

Even the owner, Jeff Smith knows about the Freedom plate. I've been in there hundreds of times and even made STAs for the previous manager Fred Colburn.

After having interfaced with the owner twice, I'm glad to never have to go in that place again. I don't regret whatever I didn't buy from them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom