Gear question...Hollis or apeks?..or neither?

Gear Choice

• Hollis

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Apeks

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Other: and specify

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I should of been more clear on the poll lol but I just wanted to see what people preferred company wise..as in overall. But I know that can very depending on which piece of equipment. and I've been hearing that a lot about HOG.

and thanks for the input on the apeks plate and wings. I was pretty set in stone on getting a hollis solo harness, ss backplate and hollis wing...or an oxycheq wing but it's up in the air right now. So I'm just having a hard time figuring out what regs and tank setup to go with.

and I keep changing gear topics but tstormdiver, do you like the predator? When looking at computers I am between the x1 from Liquivision and the predator but they seem very similar, but I'm thinking that the predator might be better for when I go rebreather eventually.

Any specific reason your considering the X1 and not the XEO? Just curious. Also if your talking about wings I love my Oxycheq 55lbs.

and I keep changing gear topics but tstormdiver, do you like the predator? When looking at computers I am between the x1 from Liquivision and the predator but they seem very similar, but I'm thinking that the predator might be better for when I go rebreather eventually.
I have 2 of them. They are VERY easy to read & to use. Lots of information at a glance. The color contrasts & OLED screen makes it easy to read at any time, even my buddy can see it in a cave. Also a very tough computer. I am not (yet) trimix or rebreather trained, but hope to be soon.

I think the main reason I liked the x1 better then the xeo is because of redundancy in the system and the durability...at least thats what I am led to believe from my research. Also is it more beneficial to have a live po2 or is fixed good enough? I know thats a big difference in price in most of these type of computers but I haven't been able to reason with why...well of course for following your dive plan.

Thanks for the opinion on the predator...they seem very popular down in Florida, when diving last weekend I saw a few cave divers and they were almost all using the predator. and I know that the cave country dive shop carries them.

I think the main reason I liked the x1 better then the xeo is because of redundancy in the system and the durability...at least thats what I am led to believe from my research. Also is it more beneficial to have a live po2 or is fixed good enough? I know thats a big difference in price in most of these type of computers but I haven't been able to reason with why...well of course for following your dive plan.

Thanks for the opinion on the predator...they seem very popular down in Florida, when diving last weekend I saw a few cave divers and they were almost all using the predator. and I know that the cave country dive shop carries them.

I have a Xeo and I think it is a great product but I bought it before I had any tech training and thought that I needed a TMx capable computer. My Xeo has never been out of gauge mode. A BT is really all you need. If I could do it again I would get two Xens for the price of one Xeo.

O ok, I appreciate the heads up and I agree with the simplicity of the dive tables and bt so I might end up doing that after all...it is a lot cheaper. And it seems like most rebreather packages come with computers now adays so If I did need one eventually I'll just worry about that when I get there. I was just looking for a product to be a multipurpose computer. but..with all that saved money I could actually get me and my GF a XEN...I like your thinking.

UPDATE:

Hey everyone, so just a quick update, I recently dropped a lot of money on my gear and I am excited to get it within the next few weeks. What I ended up getting was:

Hollis solo harness, SS backplate, two Hollis DC1/212's, c60 wing, worthington HP130's with thermo valve, and a Drysuit. Yeah it was a lot and I'm sure my LDS was happy for the business lol. but I am happy to finally get my own gear and start training so I can take my Intro to Cave/Advanced Deco Procedures this fall. Thanks everyone for the advice!!

I own SP regs, MK25/G250, S600.

I also tried a HOG set up, pretty good, half the price.

How to explain the difference?

Hog reg's [switched from Apeks] DSS, SS bp/DSS wing(s), Shearwater computer and double HP100's...Use this set-up for cave/tech diving regularly......Reliable/never have a problem........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom