Gear rack collapsed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Easy to explain what happened: the structure has no diagonals. You could avoid collapsing by fixing this rack to the wall. A typical garage wall has 2x4's inside, you can easily find these and attach the upper bar of the rack where 2x4's are.

Uh....I live in Belgium..you would be hard pressed to find a house made out of wood...aint no 2x4's in the walls of my garage.

Diagonals-shmiagonals, The damn plastic cross-member broke at the corner where one of the vertical tubes slid into it. The actual tubes were not folded/broken except slightly bent where they connected to the cross members due to the the rack falling over when the cross-member cracked/broke.

I was standing in front of it measuring the length of my backplate for a discussion with another SB member when the rack collapsed.,,,the rack was overloaded and inherently unstable standing in the middle of the garage, Totally my fault....just looking for something to replace it with now.

-Z

Thanks.

We have no shortage of shelving in the garage...the rack that collapsed served for drying and storage. Currently have everything separated into bins which work good for storing when dry but not so much for getting things dry.

Will do some browsing on SB and the interwebs for ideas.

Cheers.

-Z

the post that @rhwestfall mentioned is here
Workbench Update!
link to product here
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VWM9LGG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's rated to hold 400lbs. More than enough for anything that hangs.

These work well for gear bins, tanks, and scooters. Can get 3 of the black with yellow lids across per shelf. 1000lb/shelf capacity so you have no problem with bottles. I have a workbench that I built to hold my tanks out of 2x4's and give me a work space as well, but the racks work great.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072MF4SHR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the post that @rhwestfall mentioned is here
Workbench Update!
link to product here
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VWM9LGG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's rated to hold 400lbs. More than enough for anything that hangs.

These work well for gear bins, tanks, and scooters. Can get 3 of the black with yellow lids across per shelf. 1000lb/shelf capacity so you have no problem with bottles. I have a workbench that I built to hold my tanks out of 2x4's and give me a work space as well, but the racks work great.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072MF4SHR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is the "z"rack more functional than one with a standard base deign?

I have a couple of black and yellow bins identical to what you have...will do some drilling and some bungee as temp solution until we build/buy a new rack.

I am thinking with following along your idea and having the wetsuits and bp/ws hang on a separate rack from the other dive gear.

My garage is multifunction space....I am a ski instructor and do all the tuning and waxing for my family....4 sets of alpine skis and 4 sets of cross-country skis.

I also have 34 years of experience wrenching on bikes and have the makings of a bike shop at one end if the garage along with the road and mt bikes for the 4 of us...

...the compact rack we had that served double duty as storage and for drying worked well while it lasted.

Thanks for the ideas.

-Z

@Zef the Z rack is for them to be able to nest when not in use in the clothing industry. Z vs. I for a base is pretty irrelevant in terms of functionality, just how to the two ends are connected. The key is finding one that is tall enough to hang drysuits, that one is about 3" short for me to be able to hang my drysuit without it on the floor *telescoping suit with neoprene socks, so would be fine if it was a backzip and especially with boots or if you were shorter than 6'2".

The nice thing with the racks though is you can leave it in the middle of a common area and move it around as needed vs. taking up valuable wall space. For mine, it lives in front of the shelving units for the bins and I can swing or slide it out of the way as needed. Basically everything except regulators live on the rack when not packed for a trip

Reactions: Zef
I don't know if you have a Sam's Club (or equivalent) in Belgium (in some ways I hope you don't, but that's a discussion for another day). I bring this up because my buddy bought a shelf system fro Sam's club for her garage. It's all metal and the stupid thing weighs a little north of 50 kg, but the thing will hold an elephant! For me, I've just built my racks and benches out of wood. It's not hard to do, they are super sturdy, and you can build them to fit your particular space. The only down side is that wood is getting expensive!

Reactions: Zef
@Zef the Z rack is for them to be able to nest when not in use in the clothing industry. Z vs. I for a base is pretty irrelevant in terms of functionality, just how to the two ends are connected. The key is finding one that is tall enough to hang drysuits, that one is about 3" short for me to be able to hang my drysuit without it on the floor *telescoping suit with neoprene socks, so would be fine if it was a backzip and especially with boots or if you were shorter than 6'2".

The nice thing with the racks though is you can leave it in the middle of a common area and move it around as needed vs. taking up valuable wall space. For mine, it lives in front of the shelving units for the bins and I can swing or slide it out of the way as needed. Basically everything except regulators live on the rack when not packed for a trip

For our drysuits:
we slung some old climbing utility cord around the rail/track that connects the garage door opener module to the garage door itself...when the garage door is fully open it does not come cloes to the drysuits. I hang my fusion up-side down by one of those boot/ankle hangers hoodked into the utility cord loop. The garage ceiling is high enough that my sleeve cuffs are a couple inches off the floor.

Just need something for the rest of the gear.

It is amazing how dive gear seems as prolific as bunny rabbits if you leave it in the confines of the dark garage coupled with a little bit of post dive moisture.

-Z

Could you post a pic of your setup? there is an Ikea near by that I can see if I can replicate.
-Z
If I was near them, I definitely would...

Till next week at least.

_R

I 2nd the HOME DEPOT heavy duty racks. I found the cost to be reasonable for what you get, and I have my dive gear stored in these racks and they work quite well. Never had any issues with weight, or collapsing. they are well made, and have lasted me years so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom