Gear Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, I took an Underwater Criminal Investigation class, and I have to say that while I was doing it, back inflate systems drove me crazy (though I use them for sport diving). Specifically, when doing things that might require you to position yourself upside down or in a kneeling position (say, while bagging), the back inflate has a tendency to push the wearer down. It makes working really difficult.
-Alexis

alexis:
You know, I took an Underwater Criminal Investigation class, and I have to say that while I was doing it, back inflate systems drove me crazy (though I use them for sport diving). Specifically, when doing things that might require you to position yourself upside down or in a kneeling position (say, while bagging), the back inflate has a tendency to push the wearer down. It makes working really difficult.
-Alexis
They will work well with LOTS of practice. Forget everything you ever knew about them and sport diving and devolop your own style.

If you are diving dry, this will PO some people but, use your suit and leave the BC empty.

Gary D.

Backplate and wings are great. Each piece is replaceable. If your wing leaks, you fix the wing, you dont have to throw the whole bc out because it is not serviceable. Harnesses are replaceable and also can be sized quickly to fit any size of person if the harness hasnt been trimmed alot.
You can get a backplate and wing set up for a couple hundred dollars approx, depending on who you buy your gear from. Last time i checked the lgs were rather expensive.
Some say they(bp/w) are tough to get out of and yadda yadda yadda......... if you practice in that gear you will get out quickly, ive doffed and donned my kit very fast. Cavers and tech divers use these bcs and seem to not have any problems.
Comparing your rescue class to psd work is like comparing apples and oranges.
Bottom line, If you had to get someone out of there kit fast, you would not unbuckle them, youd cut the damn thing off.
All in all the decision is up to you, dive as many diff types as you can and make your decision from there.
-g mount

The Mares Jubilee would be worth looking at if you want a none restrictive BCD. The integrated weight sytem would not be used thus leaving you with nothing more than a cumberbun and a very small pocket on the bun. This would not collect any debris and leave lots of room for a harness. It's just an inexpensive (less than $300) thought for a minimal back inflated BCD. I used this BCD for a while for my personal use, but went with the Balance BCD for my personal enjoyment. The Balance is a great BCD but would not be good for rescue work.

rspdiver:
Okay, I am looking for recommendations for BCD's...Here's what we are looking at:

Lifeguard Systems
Zeagle (Tech, Ranger and 911)
OMS

Anybody using these? pros/cons? Likes/Dislikes

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The BCD would be worn over a harness for tethered diving.

Thanks,

rspdiver.

P.S. (next time I'll post gear issues on the proper forum..oops)
i,ve got no regrets with my zeagle ranger but would like to have a backplate/harness in the near future,peace :wink:

hi

Seaquest seaquest seaquest.Over 2000dives problem free(single tank)

Dived oms for rescue difficulty. with bungee cords.catching.
Seaquest loads of lift great pockts easily removed quick snap connectors.Esay to get on with whilst busy with other tasking.

Just my opinon

Gary

Gary D.:
If you are diving dry, this will PO some people but, use your suit and leave the BC empty.
Gary D.

Gary,

Your quote above does not "PO" me, but I do have to advise that none of the dry-suit manufacturers that I know of recommend this technique. The technical training agencies do not recommend this technique either. Using your dry-suit for flotation is a back-up procedure to most, not a first choice.

Cheers! :wink:

Well, for whats its worth, I'mm input my opinion. I dive with a Zeagle Ranger, and I love it. Yeah the integrated weight system is a pain in the butt to re-cord, but I have only had to do it once, and that was because I dropped the weights on land just to see how to do it. Otherwise, I find that it is great for body recoveries... and I love it for just recreational diving.

My dad who is also a SAR diver dives with a Zeagle 911 and swears by it. He has a couple others and since he bought this one, he won't use anything else. I'm not sure of the exact differences between the two, but I think IMHO that either one is great for SAR diving, and recreational, and makes the switch pretty easy.!

Kayla

medic13:
we use a backplate and wings with of course weight belt ,

My whole opinion on gear is that the simpler it is the better it is. If you have a bc with 30 d-rings and 7 straps and integrated weights and regs with a huge console, it gets pretty "busy"
If it dangles either get rid of it or attach it differently, change hose lengths etc.
I do all my diving in a bp/ wing set up. Be it cave, wreck or psd. My harness and my gear is "DIR styled" and its very simple, very streamlined and it works very well. If nothing more id suggest looking at the DIR fundamentals book put out by GUE.
PS. A bp and wings combo is cheaper than the 30 d-ring and kitchen sink deal I see people wearing.
What scares me even more is the people that have 30 things to hang off there 30 d-rings. :)
-g mount

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom